+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All in!

Hybrid View

Default All in!

I've been fly fishing for almost two years, with about 12 trips to arkansas under my belt. During the first 3 I figured out the basics, and all of a sudden, I started catching fish. I figured out what to tie at the end of my tippet(thanks Chad J), I figured out how to mend(this was when I started catching fish), and I figured out to call my brother and have him tie me some flies. I admit, I had no interest in knots or hackle and the whipfinish tool he used just gave me a headache. I would sit with him while he tied my flies, and I would explain line management to him (he is fairly new to the sport as well) while he filled my box. Then something strange started happening to me. I figured out the nail knot, the perfection loop and some others, and all of a sudden I find myself lurking around utube looking for fly tying videos. I go from ebay to faol then back to utube then back to here again. I ended up at Barnes and Nobles and now own a book about flys and the bugs they imitate. I thought I would be happy just knowing how to catch fish with a flyrod, and I am...but turns out there is a lot more to this most excellent use of time. So, it looks like I just pushed all my hobby chips to the table, and have proudly gone ALL IN!

Uh Oh. Another soul wandering in the wilderness. Just don't start tying your own flies, or all is loooooooost.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Or building you own fly rods. Welcome to the addiction.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Oh what a familiar story. I remember about 4 years ago, I started fly fishing as "something different" and realized how much fun it was. 2 Scott rods, 1 Winston rod, 3 Ross reels and not sure how much other "stuff" later, I'm completely hooked (ha ha) on fly fishing. I use my fly rods about 10:1 to my spinning equipment.

Then about 2 years ago, I thought it would be fun to tie a couple flies. Well, now I have enough feathers to create several Jurrasic sized birds and enough hair to start my own taxidermy shop.

Just remember, you're among friends here. If you need a good excuse to tell the wife/girlfriend as to why you cannot live without some gadget you "need" we can help.

Jeff

My admission here was my trial coming out party. I plan on telling my wife about all the stuff I am going to need after her birthday. My spin is going to be; "honey, look how easy its going to be to shop for me now"

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    "honey, look how easy its going to be to shop for me now"
    uuuuuuummmmmmm that may not work. I took that same tact a number of years ago and it provided my wife the opportunity to visit the fly shop and see how much everything really cost. I had a hard time explaining things for awhile after that.

Better to keep what I call the "big boy toy fund". This is a secret cache of money that is slowly built up over time so as to not draw attention. When the fund is large enough you buy another rod, reel, accessory, or whatever is needed/wanted at the time.

Works for me.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    My admission here was my trial coming out party. I plan on telling my wife about all the stuff I am going to need after her birthday. My spin is going to be; "honey, look how easy its going to be to shop for me now"
    Just tell her it's cheaper than going to the bars and far safer than having a girlfriend. My advice is to wait until you're sure she's asleep before saying this because if she hears you, well, ... no more needs to be said.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread