+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Confession

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Horrible Confession

Hey Folks,

Finally, after years of tying, I bit the bullet and bought a Renzetti Traveler so that I could experience the benefits of a quality, full-rotary vise. I've been using the vise now for about four and a half months. I've experimented with the rotary feature to wind tinsel, dubbing, hackle and everything else except the kitchen sink. After my months experimentation, I've concluded that I would rather do most of my tying with the fly sitting still than twirling that darn lever. Now don't get me wrong, I do like to be able to inspect the far side of the fly for eveness and symmetry with relative ease but most of the time I tie with the rotation knob locked down. Anyone else use their rotary vise in a non-rotary fashion most of the time? 8T

8T,

I did that for the first year or so I had a rotary vise. Then I decided to learn how to use it.

I bought Al & Gretchen's book, played around with it a bit. Figured out 'why', in my own mind (we're all different in how we learn and eventually comprehend spacial concepts), it worked the way it does.

Now I wouldn't even attempt to tie without the rotary feature. Took a while, though. I've had my rotary for around eight years now....still figuring out the things it will do. Every few months I find another 'trick' or technique that it will do that a regular stationary vise won't.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I'm with you 8Thumbs. I love my rotary vice (griffin oddessy) but use it most of the time in a stationary position. I do rotate for examining the fly, for tying on hard to get at stuff like rubber legs.

But, for spiral wrapping I'm more comfortable if I leave the vise stationary and use my fingers (I learned on and old Thompson model A) I don't like needing to half hitch the thread and find the bobbin cradle get's in my way.

Perhaps I am missing some rotary techniques, how do the rest of you manage the thread when using a rotary for spiral wrapping?

8T -

I started tying four plus years ago with a Renzetti Traveler and still use it for all my fly tying.

I very seldom use the rotary function for anything more than inspecting the fly from various angles, photographing them from different angles, and getting a better view for tying in some materials like some wings and rubber legs.

I KNOW what a competent person using a full rotary can do - at least a couple times a year, I get to watch a fellow who is a real master with a Nor-vise do amazing things with it. BUT that isn't the kind of tying I am into, for either the kinds of flies he does, or the techniques / mechanics of what he likes to do.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from exploring what the rotary function might add to their fly tying enjoyment or the quality of the flies they tie. Just ain't my thing.

John
    The fish are always right.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post
    Perhaps I am missing some rotary techniques, how do the rest of you manage the thread when using a rotary for spiral wrapping?
    if i'm going to rib a fly with whatever, i tie 1 half hitch at the head of the fly or wherever the rib is going to end and put the thread in the bobbin rest. then i use the rotary function for winding the rib.

i've been tying on a renzetti since it first came out and i dont always use the rotary function for every fly. hell, i forget to use it most of the time!
    Last edited by Normand; 09-18-2009 at 07:53 PM.

I've had a Traveler for probably 8 or 9 years now. I use the rotary to move the fly into a better position. I use the rotary to rib or wind hackle.

I have B-A-D carpal in both hands due to 30+ years of pounding on keyboards. My hands can only take so much abuse of doing something so using the rotary "as it fits my needs" make tying enjoyable.

This summer, we went camping and I took a fixed vise. I needed to tie some simple panfish flies to give away and just trying to complete 6 flies on a fixed vise was painful.

We all use tools to meet different needs. For me, it's so I can enjoy tying and not reach for the pain-killer when I'm done.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy Forgot to tell you one thing!

One other problem that I ran into and in fact was running into it all the time---the bobbin holder. The best thing locking down the rotary knob on my Travler was removing the bobbin holder. That thing was ALWAYS in the way and effectively blocking me from performing some important operation. I've set the bobbin holder in the farthest back corner of my foam tool caddy---out of sight and out of mind. 8T

8T -

Remember this discussion of "profile plates" ??

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=30495

I use the bobbin holder to hold a piece of closed cell foam, but I don't call it anything quite as elegant as a profile plate.

Several different colors of foam serve to nicely backdrop just about any fly I tie. Note the background in the pic.

John
    The fish are always right.

About the bobbin rest....

I find that all the ones mounted to the vise stem are always in the way...

AK Best solved this one for me. I have his 'Production Fly Tying' book. In it, he explains how to make/use a bobbin rest that doesn't get in the way.

Mine now swings completely out of the way with just a flick of my finger, and back into position just as easily. Half hitching is something I seldom do (if you tie on TDE hooks, the eye keeps the thread in place for almost any rotary operation).

I'm now solidly addicted to the rotary feature on my vise. However, I never use it to 'look' at the other side of the fly (that's one thing the rotary feature does, keeps things even and centered, so you don't need to look).

Even though I'm not in a hurry when I tie flies, the rotary feature lets me tie more efficiently, and thus faster. I find it helps me manage materials better.

And there is nothing like it for spinning hair.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I picked up a Nor Vise for a song from a buddy that didn't like it, I tried using it but can only tie streamers & larger flies with it because of my big hands, I have a Renzeti Master for most of my tieing, When I first got the Nor Vise I had ordered 2 of his automatic bobbins. They make rotary tying soooooo much easier on either vise. If you want to really tie rotary check them out. They're the greatest thing since sliced bread,

+ Reply to Thread