I think that many of us own a powerful tool, but barely scratch the surface in using it to it's potential. I have made the big push just recently to continue to push the rotary function. I feel lucky in that I never tied on a fixed station vise like so many. I have owned three vises and they were all true rotary vises: DanVise, Peak and DK Barracuda. So I started with a true roatary unlike many that started with something like a Thompson A or a copy of that. My mentor ties on a HMH, it rotates, but is not true rotary. Own two DVDs, one by Mike Holt and one by Al Beatty and then I am currently reading the Beatty book. There is definately an effort required to focus on true rotary functions but I think that the skills onced learned will pay dividends.

I still lay a better thread base my rotating my bobbin than I do by rotating the vise and it is faster to rotate my bobbin at this point. I've tried rotating the vise and the bobbin at the same time, but the thread base isn't as smooth that way for me. I will continue to work at it for another few doz flies but if it doesn't change will go back to my standard grove so to say.

Anything new is uncomfortable and takes longer than the way that you are use to, the real effort is forcing yourself to take longer now so that you save time in the future.