+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of season Au Sable

Default End of season Au Sable

Theres no better way to end the regular trout season than fishing the most beautiful river in the world with a good friend, fly rod in hand, and catching a few nice trout to boot.

We did get a good hatch of White flies (Ephoron Leukons) the first night coming off around 8:30pm but the next nights they were very very few and far between. The cold (got under 40 degrees at night) weather pretty much did in the last hatch of the year. So nymphing the runs with a bead head and indi rig was the name of the game.

This was a pretty decent fish I got yesterday, a good healthy near 14" rainbow middle of the day with bright sun and bluebird skies was a nice suprise.

Some more nice bows

How could you ever not have a good day in a place like this?

Gratuitous favorite rod shot, but also my new Custom net with Box Elder Burl made by Dr.Sam of flyfishingnets.net

Awesome report! And nice photos.

Too bad the general season is over out there. Do you guys have any waters that have a winter season (I have never been or fished out there)?

Yup with have some waters that stay open all year. Theres actually a pretty long section of the Au Sable that is open year round because its No Kill C&R that runs through the town of Grayling. But this section that I like to fish is just a little ways downstream from the area thats open year round. This section here is Special regs Fly&artifical only but they close it last day of sept to fishing in that stretch.

All the streams that get Salmon&steelhead runs like Manistee, Rifle, Pere Marquette stay open year round so theres quite a few other options for winter trout. Or as I mentioned just head upstream about 20 miles and the upper Au Sable is open year round.

Steve

Blog Entries

Steve, I wasn't able to get my "Au Sable fix" this year. Thanks for sharing. It will help me last until next year, I hope.

Ed

No problem Ed, if you need me to go back up to fish for ya again so ya can have another fix then just say the word.....It'll be tough, but I'll do it just because I'm that nice of a guy

Wow Steve that net is a work of art. Very cool.

Beaver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
    No problem Ed, if you need me to go back up to fish for ya again so ya can have another fix then just say the word.....It'll be tough, but I'll do it just because I'm that nice of a guy

Man, are the people here nice or what.
    Thanks for the offer. Can you schedule something for next Spring? Or maybe late this Fall on the open water?

Thanks,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread