+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PINE SQUIRREL CHEATER - Fly of the Week - September 21, 2009

Smile Another Bulletin Board member recounts ...

... his first time using the PSC ( from a Visitor Message last month ):

"I have to tell you about my day. I used my usual flies and the fish showed no interest. So I had a couple PSC in "sculpin olive". The first one I tried, insisted on floating (I know you use a sink tip line), so I had one I had tied on a small jig head. I was shocked when my indicator did not go down, it went sideways by 6" before I could set the hook. Nice rainbow that jumped twice then broke off by 4x and disapeared with my fly. So I tied on the unweighted with a split shot and caught 1 more nice bow with the indicator and then switching to fishing it as a streamer hooked 2 more, one I got to hand. I went to the next hole and had 3 more vicious strikes, one trout was huge, came to the top and shook his massive head, the fly popped out. The hook had partially straightened! I wanted to let you know how successful your fly was for me, and to ask if anyone had mentioned using a weighted version. Thanks- Jeff"

Regarding Jeff's question about a weighted version, I have seen an almost identical fly using a cone head called the Pine Cone. It has been around for a number of years.

Jeff used the fly with several different presentations - he made it his own and made it work for him. That's what it is all about.

John
    The fish are always right.

Cold Guest

Thanks for bringing this up again. I tied up a slightly more 'compact', more colorful, flashier version of this over the winter, can't wait to get them some use!

Default Johnscott and the passport.

John,
    I saw this thread and thought Hey, been here, done this.
    I hope by now you have your passport and get to travel a little out of the country.
    I got mine this winter because they won't let me in New Zealand without one. A little tip. It takes 4-6 weeks from the time you apply until you get it. In my case it took 8 weeks because of my raggedy old birth certificate. Hey, It's 66 years old and I got it from my dad's stuff when he passed in '89.
    If you are making international trip plans in the near future and do not have a passport or yours is expired, order it early. You can't book an international flight or even a cruise without it.

About the PSC, I plan to take some with me to NZ and try them out.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

John Scott,

That PSC pattern looks deadly, and you can't ask for a simpler tie. I like the Pine Cone also! I like wooly buggers, but could easily get into the PSCs.

Cold - What size hook (Mustad - Salmon hook?) did you use, and what is your intended target? - steelhead?

Lots of good lookin flies guys! Thanks.

Best regards, Dave S.

Cold Guest

Cold - What size hook (Mustad - Salmon hook?) did you use, and what is your intended target? - steelhead?
    Those pictured are Mustad 36890, size 10. Intended for trout and great lakes steel.

+ Reply to Thread