+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A recent report: "BJAC" creek and some other places

Default A recent report: "BJAC" creek and some other places

This was my much anticipated trip to a little place that I had been waiting to fish all year. It is funny how much a place can change in nine short months. I left my house early in the morning so I could have a nice full day of fishing.

When I got to my destination I noticed a lot of nice looking flowers. The water looked like I remembered it. I made my way down to the water and began to fish.

It did not take long before the first willing resident took my #14 EHC. The fish was about what I was expecting to see from this place given the time that it was. I continued to fish as I hiked up stream finding plenty of willing residents to take my EHC.

After catching a ton of little fish I decided to mess around for a bit by throwing on a #10 rubber leg stimulator. Just like the EHC the little guys just could not resist this fly.

As the day went on I was having all kinds of luck catching these wonderful little wild fish on various dry flies. However something was missing. Usually in this system you will catch a lot of dinks in the morning but you will have a nice share of 12 to 15 inch fish as the day goes on. But this was not the case today.

Continued due to 10 photo per post limit..........

After hiking back to the car in the nice 90+ degree heat for a little lunch a decision needed to be made. Stay here and mess around with the 4 to 11 inch redbands or go scout out some other blue lines in the area.

I chose the latter option and decided to see what some of those other blue lines held. The first one that I saw was real skinny water on a pretty steep grade. I decided that I was not going to bother even fishing it and moved on.

The next place looked like it had some real promise. After a short hike I was in the water and began to fish.

The second cast I got a rise and had a fish on. I could tell that this was another small fish. I fished my way back up stream catching all kinds of dinks in the 3 to 6 inch range. I was pretty surprised to say the least. This place seems like it should have held a bit more sizable fish in it. I continued to fish my way back up stream for a bit and decided to hike back to the car.

Despite the mass dink catching I had a fun trip. I was able to get out and fish in spots where I was not bothered by any crowds. I think that I will give this system a break for a little while and check back on it in the fall.

Nice report, and great pics. Dinks are OK in my book. Looks like they saved your day. Thanks for posting.

I'm curious. What part of Idaho are you from?
    Last edited by Lotech; 09-18-2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: afterthought
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    Nice report, and great pics. Dinks are OK in my book. Looks like they saved your day. Thanks for posting.

I'm curious. What part of Idaho are you from?

Don't worry I wasn't b!tching about the dinks too much Plus they were still fun on my 761-4 Superfine and 000710-3 TXL I was fishing that day.

I live in the Boise area but I fish all over.

Beautiful Pics and excellent report. Keep em coming!

mike
    Get Em!

Sasha,

Beautiful pics and nice fish. Looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the report.

Beaver

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Cool

Nice report/pics! Was that stream initially a Rainbow, a Cutt stream, or both?
    Last edited by Chuck S; 09-19-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: mistakes
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Hi,

Great report and wonderful photos. If you know there are often a few larger fish, perhaps they were a bit shy due to the bright sun? If the smaller ones are taking caddis, you could try a soft hackle just below the surface (partridge and yellow or green, for example). Some of the riffles and bumpy runs in your photos just call for upstream soft hackles to me. Hmm, but then, I always think that, so perhaps it's just because I'm jealous! Thanks for the report.

- Jeff

Sasha, love the fish and love the scenery. Thanks for posting. Wow, is it just me or does it seem like there's just too many nice places to fish, and too little time?

John

Thanks guys! This creek is one of my favorite places to fish. It holds a nice population of native redband trout. Plus it also holds some bulls. Unfortunately there are a few brookies in it, however when I catch one I will keep it. Keep in mind I don't hate brook trout, I just don't like to see them in waters with bull trout as they pose big problems for them.

This place is pretty neat plus nobody fishes it. I guess it is because everybody prefers the "roadside" type places as opposed to places where you have to work a little to get to.

I was talking with a friend that also fishes here. He told me that he made the same observations this year with the small fish. He said he didn't get it either as it is totally different fish size wise from last year. We both fished her about 15 or so times last year.

Well here are some of the more memorable pics from this place from last year

My buddy and I hiking up the creek (I am the one in back)

Sorry this one is a bit out of focus.

This poor little guy. I hooked him as I was fighting him a bull came out of the depths and tagged him pretty hard. I revived him and released him. He sat in front of me for a bit before he took off.

Last edited by Sasha; 09-20-2009 at 12:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread