I am wanting to tie up some of the old wet flies from days long gone by. You know, the flies that rarely get used anymore: THE BLACK SPOOK, BLOODY BUTCHER, GREEN LIZZIE, WAGON WHEEL, ETC. One problem I've encountered is finding quality hackle in the vibrant colors of these old fly patterns. I bought some of the "feather packs" and they are crap, and usually way too big for trout flies. I think they are geared more toward bass/saltwater flies.
I notice in my old pattern book it always describes the hackle as either "tied wet"or "tied dry". This leads me to believe the following: Tiers of old had less access to quality hackle than we have today, so they used the same feathers whether they were tying a wet fly or a dry fly, but, if tying a wet fly they reversed the feather so the barbs swept back instead of forward, hence the instructions, "tied wet" or "tied dry". Is this correct? Can I, then, purchase quality dry fly hackle like Whiting and simply tie it "wet" and achieve an accurate historical fly? What do ya'll think?

NOTE: I'm not trying to tie perfectly historically accurate flies for display. I'm just trying to get a good result. Thanks!