+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice Please

Default Need Advice Please

I am wanting to tie up some of the old wet flies from days long gone by. You know, the flies that rarely get used anymore: THE BLACK SPOOK, BLOODY BUTCHER, GREEN LIZZIE, WAGON WHEEL, ETC. One problem I've encountered is finding quality hackle in the vibrant colors of these old fly patterns. I bought some of the "feather packs" and they are crap, and usually way too big for trout flies. I think they are geared more toward bass/saltwater flies.
    I notice in my old pattern book it always describes the hackle as either "tied wet"or "tied dry". This leads me to believe the following: Tiers of old had less access to quality hackle than we have today, so they used the same feathers whether they were tying a wet fly or a dry fly, but, if tying a wet fly they reversed the feather so the barbs swept back instead of forward, hence the instructions, "tied wet" or "tied dry". Is this correct? Can I, then, purchase quality dry fly hackle like Whiting and simply tie it "wet" and achieve an accurate historical fly? What do ya'll think?

NOTE: I'm not trying to tie perfectly historically accurate flies for display. I'm just trying to get a good result. Thanks!
    Speak yer mind but ride a fast horse!

Hi,

I use the bloody butcher a lot, and it's a great fly. For all the old winged wets I'll tie the hackle in as a "false hackle", or "beard", or "throat". They all mean the same thing. Anyway, oversized feathers are not a problem, since you are just tying a clump of fibres on the bottom of the shank, not wrapping a collar and pulling it underneath, so you can trim the buts (just don't cut your tying thread).

If you want to tie collars, then use hen hackle rather than rooster.

Enjoy.

- Jeff

Default Suggestions

Hi,
    I suggest looking for some good hen necks dyed in the colors you need for wets. While dry fly hackle can be used, you will not get the action you need from these unless you are fishing extremely fast water. Even then, they're too stiff for wets. You can buy good hen necks and dye them yourself. Many of the hackles used back then were bird feathers as well, so do some shopping. Here's a few links for you to look at.

http://www.feathersmc.com/

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

http://www.bearsden.com/

http://feather-craft.com/

Look in their fly tying sections. If you can't find what you want under "hackles" look under "feathers".

Mark

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montana boy View Post
    Can I, then, purchase quality dry fly hackle like Whiting and simply tie it "wet" and achieve an accurate historical fly? What do ya'll think?
    i would buy some quality whiting hen hackle for wets and keep the quality dry fly hackle for just that, dries.

get some schlappen feathers for tying in throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i would buy some quality whiting hen hackle for wets and keep the quality dry fly hackle for just that, dries.

get some schlappen feathers for tying in throats.

OK, I'm hearing hen hackle. Got it. My original thought in using dry fly hackle was to purchase low grade necks/saddles, like Whiting bronze or pro-grade. I called Whiting and they told me that the "American" necks or saddles would be too large for tying trout flies.
    Last edited by montana boy; 09-17-2009 at 08:31 PM.

I think our own Denny from Conranch is going to solve my dilema. I spoke to him this morning and I think his JV Hen is just the ticket.

Blog Entries

Cool. Denny will fix you right up.

+ Reply to Thread