Right now the main insect action on the waters in Idaho on the Selway-Locha-Clearwater Junction (FAOL Fish-in Site) at Lowell Idaho, is the "October Caddis.

I had had great success at the 2004 Idaho Fish-In, using Ronn Lucas Sr. "Irridescent October Caddis pattern. I deleted the tail on Ronn's pattern and added a pale yellow butt instead, to represent an egg sack.

Ronn Lucas Sr. Irridescent October Caddis

Parnelli's Version of the Irridescent October Caddis

Hook: TMC 200R, size 6,8,10, or 12 (depending on size of local caddis).
Thread: Black, 6/0.
Butt: Pale Yellow yarn.
Abdomen: rear half, rust dubbing/ front half, burgandy dubbing.
Thorax: Purple dubbing.
Wing: Elk or Deer hair.
Collar: Brown Hackle.

Fishing the Fly:
When I fish an area that I am not familiar with, I spend a long time observing the stream before I start casting. I noticed that the Female Caddis, would crash onto the water surface Then they would quickly fly back into the air, and crash back onto the water surface a few feet away from the previous landing.

I started casting, with a strong forward cast, causing my fly to hit the water with some gusto, and then immediately, pull the fly off the water with a back cast. Believe it or not, those Cuthroats zone in on the area, and they are quick enough to strike and take that fly pattern, either on the water surface, or in the air as you are lifting it off the water.

Montana Moose love using my rendition of the Ronn Lucas Sr. "Irridensecnt October Caddis" pattern, he also love the Lienenkulge Beer that I brought from Chippewa Falls WI, so I drank all of his Moose Drool! ~Parnelli