+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Box full o' Magazines

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Sometimes the "old ways" are better than anything "new"....but then what really is new.....it's still about getting a fly out on the water that a fish will take....and Bill Tapply stressed that better than most....have fun with your find
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Wink Lucky You

mao -

Jimmy's All Seasons Angler in Idaho Falls has quite a library of fishing magazines from the era that you mentioned. The past couple winters I made it a habit to grab a few each time I was in the store and spend some time each week reading them.

Those were GREAT magazines. The writing was excellent. The articles were informative. There was a minimum of advertising and gear discussion, as I recall.

Compared to what I've seen lately in the way of fly fishing magazines, there is no comparison. Consider yourself lucky to have such a collection.

John
    The fish are always right.

I started reading Fly Fisherman magazine back in the 70's. It seemed like everytime I got a new copy, I'd spend at least a few hours reading each issue from cover to cover. It seems like about 10 years ago or so, my interest in all fly fishing magazines just waned. Now if I take a look at a fishing magazine while waiting in line at the grocery store, a quick flip thru the pages, and I generally lose interest.

Don't know if it's me or the magazines, but something changes from the old days.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Default Corey Ford's the Lower Forty

This tread inspired me to check to see if the book resulting from a collection of Corey Ford's the Lower Forty column could be found on the internet. And there is was, a little pricey for the moment but when I get closer to my second million I know it can be had. If you are a youngster and are not familiar with Corey Ford, he wrote a humorous outdoor column for Field and Stream back when I was a kid and when to the barber shop and paid a dollar to get my flattop hair cut. Now I can't grow enough hair to have a flattop. And there was Ted Trueblood, which was his real name although I suspected it was made up for years.

Good memories, I may have to go get out my copy of "Mostly Tailfeathers" by Gene Hill tonight.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Default Gene Hill

I have quite a collection of articles torn from magaines of Gene Hill's work. I pull them out often to reread and rekindle my dream of writing in a similar style. Will never happen.
    Jim Kearney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    ... the barber shop and paid a dollar to get my flattop hair cut. Now I can't grow enough hair to have a flattop.
    I gots the hair, but can't find a "Stylist" who knows or cares to know how to cut a flat top. Guess I need to go back to a real barber.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread