OK I use a perfection loop on my backing & lasso the arbor & I have put a piece of painter's blue tape on the arbor instead of flipping the knot around (If you put it on in the wrong direction it will not tighten up) so it don't slip. I've used it for trout in the San Juan & salmon in Canada. I have not even seen it since I did it years ago. I have trolled for Salmon & trout & never gave it a thought. I think just using tape might be a good idea if you don't have a lot of backing but I haven't tried it. What the heck, go for it if you are worried about it. I just never thought of it or I might have done it.
I also have tried Armor All & even Rainx on my fly lines with not so good results, but lessons learned Etc. Lately I've been using Alboline makeup remover as a fly floatant & putting it on my furled leaders & if my line tip starts to sink I've rubbed it on the first 5" or so of fly line & it'll float it.
I'm one of those guys that if I'm not fishing ,most of the time I'm thinking about fishing, & I've come up with some different ideas while cutting the grass or even drinking coffee ( dye for feathers etc.). people have been fly fishing & trying different things for many years some work & some are a waste of time. That's what I like about these forums, you get ideas & if you look long enough you'll find that someone has tried your ideas in the past most of the time. I think the idea of tape is valid & I wish some one had posted the trying of Rainx as a floatant& I saw it before I ruined my flyline.
Please all of you keep posting these ideas, There are many of us who are always looking for different ways to do something