+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading the Rod

Idahofisher, Read my post again. This is NOT MY THEORY. This is what ORVIS has put forth on their website. I just asked if people agreed with it.

I don't think it's wrong but this scenario only applies to the first backcast when the line is in water and not false casting or lawn casting.

You stop loading the rod when you stop the rod in the backcast, or in the cast for that matter. That can very well be when the fly leaves the water in the backcast.

The rod is loaded by a combination of the opposing weight of the line and the speed the caster accelerates the rod. The friction of water certainly adds to the opposition of the line but it's absence doesn't keep the rod from loading.

------------------
    Joe

Far be it for any one of us to doubt Orvis... but I do... and I agree with Mr. Castwell.
    The Orvis explantion would have you believe it is impossible to cast on dry land.

Ray: >>>Start your backcast as soon as the tip of the line is moving, open your wrist to execute your power stroke, then stop the rod<<
    I'm having a hard time interpreting what you're saying about the wrist here. Surly you're not suggesting a windshield wiper type motion.

I belies the line loads the rod and you should be able to do that in several ways, not just water.

A rookie here
    Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

You don't even need a line to load the rod.

"You don't even need a line to load the rod."

I wish I said that!

If you don't have any line on the rod, and just make the correct casting motion, does the rod bend? The bending of the rod is called "loading."

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread