Thread: Weekly Fraser Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Threaded View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Sport fishing column for Sept 14 to 21, 2009

A few weeks ago we started covering the subject of introducing your wife or girlfriend to sport fishing; that was assuming she was willing to try it. This week we deal with the premise held buy some, that fishing is a man's sport. When faced with this myth I like to inform the person I am talking to that it was a women, Dame Juliana Berners, who wrote the first book on sport fishing in 1450. It was Dame Juliana's intent that sport fishing be enjoyed by everyone. If that doesn't inspire your Lady friend maybe this quote from the undisputed grand first lady of fly fishing, Joan Wulff, will help.

"My first conscious thought about fishing developed at the end of a summer's evening on Green Wood Lake in the early 1930s. Dad was the fisherman and Mom rowed the boat. I reacted to Mom's dilemma as a boatman with the strong thought forming in my young mind; it's better to be a fisherman than a rower. And so I am."

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good thanks to the return of summer weather. Mornings and evenings are the ticket. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Royal Coachman, Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible.

Bass, and panfish fishing are fair to good. For bass and panfish try: Clouser's Deep Minnow, Crayfish, Poppers, Big Black, Stimulator, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Tied down Minnow, or Tom Thumb.

All our interior lakes are fishing very well. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. If dry fly is your fancy try: Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is AAA for pink and rated good for spring, and cutthroat. For pink try: Pink Eve, Cathy's Coat, pink Wooly Bugger, Happy Hooker, pink Popsicle, or pink Bunny Leach. For spring try: Big Black, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, GP, Flat Black or Eggo. For cutthroat try: Stickleback, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Coachman, Sixpack, Zulu, or Souboo.

The Stave River is good for rainbow, cutthroat, with a few pink and coho showing. For rainbow try: Big Black, Zulu, Souboo, Royal Coachman, Elk Hair Caddis, Kaufmann's Stone, Adams, Irresistible, Stimulator, or Renegade. For coho try: Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, green or black Wooly Bugger, Bite Me, Blue Christmas, or Rolled Muddler.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow, pink, and early coho.

The Harrison is good for rainbow, cutthroat, and pink.

The Thompson River is good for rainbow, and pink. Spring and pink will remain open until Sept 20th. For those big Thompson bows try: Joe's Hopper, Kaufmann's Stone, Irresistible, Tom Thumb, Elk Hair Caddis, Rolled Muddler, or Stimulator.

Our fall fly fishing classes will be starting soon; call us at 1-604-820-4099 to book your spot.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 09-15-2009 at 04:09 AM.