+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook & Hackle Boo - The Decision

Default Hook & Hackle Boo - The Decision

WOW! These threads can really get off course. I have seen two threads on bamboo recently and both have gone pretty much everywhere except to answer the question or comment.

FIREMAN asked the question "Hook and Hackle's Bamboo Blanks - Has anyone finished any of their blanks. I know its not the American made stuff. How do they fish etc."

I only saw a little bit of an answer to that question but it peaked my interest again to build a bamboo. I have been building glass and graphite for over thirty years now, but never a bamboo. I would love to build one from cane but no room in my Condo for that kind of work so I figured I would need to buy the blank. I have been considering ordering a blank but the price has slowed me down. I really don't need another rod, so why spend? Well the thought of that question peaked my curiosity so I ordered the 7' 4wt kit from H&H. I hope to answer FIREMAN's question properly.

At about $270 including shipping I figure I can't go too wrong. Don't get me wrong now - I am not expecting a handcrafted piece of art here. That is what slowed my decision, deciding to contact a craftsman and spend a bit more or order a manufactured blank being the cheapskate that I am. With this discussion I figure I can afford this kit and hopefully experience a reasonable introduction to the world of boo.

With this manufactured blank I do expect something in the line of cane being fed into a machine, sliced and diced, slapped together, and glued. Then fed to another machine to finish it and slap the ferrules on. I figure the spacing of nodes is up to chance rather than properly cut by a craftsman. This sounds horrible but reality is I figure it I can expect the quality level of perhaps an old Monteque only new rather than antique. With the newer machinery of today I suspect a machined blank will likely be more precise and consistent than days of old, but lack the care and quality that comes from craftsmanship.

I will report on what arrives when it gets here.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Would you mind "documenting" your adventure with pictures? I'm really curious as to what they are like (although after Thursday ... I don't need one!!), but would be interested for the sake of building for others.

Ron (H&H) told me some time ago that he had visited the manufacturer, and he felt they (at that time, at least) did a reasonable job building the blanks. I cannot, will not, believe that he would honestly sell a pile of yuck, and affix the H&H name to it. That's just not his business style.

I'm really looking forward to this report!! Thank you!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,

A good part of my decision dealt with the fact that I have never received any junk from H&H as you say. Ron is top notch as far as I am concerned so I expect to see some pretty fair quality. At that price point I do not expect hand made craftsman perfection, but knowing Ron I do expect a fairly high quality manufactured blank. My experience from H&H has always been high "Value" for the dollar.

I will post pictures if I can figure it out - shouldn't be too difficult, I just haven't done it yet. It's time I learn.
    Let No One Walk Alone

I doubt you will be upset with the blank and fishability of the rod in the end. Are they a top end $1500 rod? No, probably not. But most often even those $1500 rods aren't $1500 worth of rod either:^) I mean listen.....I've cast many a rod that cost $100....that cast just as good as any top end Winston or Orvis or whatnot.

Would love to hear "and see" how the rod comes out. OH....and by-the-way.....those old Monties are still selling on EBAY. They must have been a decent rod too:^)

I second Betty's request. I would love to see some pics and a report of your results. There are lots of us curious ones out here.

Also don't worry. I am sure you will end up with a perfectly fine rod when you are done that will give you a lot of hours of fishing fun.
    Shaky;

It looks like I thought - a lot of people look at the good price but wonder is the quality/value there. I will report when it gets here. The problem is I checked the order on the website and find the blank is on back-order, so I can't be sure how soon the report will come. I doubt it will be too long but it won't be as quick as I thought.

I did receive the order for silk thread I put in. I have never used silk in the past as I have always built glass & graphite. This stuff really looks good I am impressed with the look. Makes me all that much more anxious to get started. I am just going to have to be patient.
    Let No One Walk Alone

I thought it might be time for an update. Well maybe not - nothing to report - the order is still on backorder. I did send a request for an ETA but have not received a resoponse yet. I will report - hopefully next time there will be something to report.
    Let No One Walk Alone

+ Reply to Thread