Thread: Comprehensive Kayak Fishing Kit from Scratch

Threaded View

Default Comprehensive Kayak Fishing Kit from Scratch

I thought some of you might find this interesting.

I recently was asked by a disabled vet from a part of the country where he can fish both freshwater streams and saltwater flats to put together a comprehensive list of fly fishing and safety equipment for him to fish from a kayak and wade fish in both environments for all species available to him and tie his own flies. We discussed the details, and the parameters included things like his long-term purchasing power (keep it on a budget), pack mule vs. minimalist vs. somewhere in between, his disabilities, what personal outdoor gear he already had (hats, sunglasses, water bottles/camelbaks, etc.), and what vehicles he had at his disposal to carry the kayak. All pricing is at MSRP.

The total cost of what I came up with buying TFO Axiom and Elkhorn Traveler rods, SA Mastery lines, Elkhorn T-series reels and extra spools, an Ocean Kayak yak, including everything down to the split-shot and tippet, a stakeout pole for the yak and pfd, and all of the details was about $6,700.

By comarison, that is roughly the same cost as a starter streetbike motorcycle, a beginner's sailboat, a small outboard motor, 2 typical family vacations, 1/4 the cost of an in-ground swimming pool, or a hot tub.
    Last edited by flyguy66; 09-14-2009 at 02:15 PM.