+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you pronounce chironomidae

Hybrid View

Default how do you pronounce chironomidae

This has been bothering me for a while now. How do you say chironomidae? It could be sheero no me day, could be cheer, ro no me dae, could be Chi ron o me day. I need a talking fly fishing dictionary, or at least one for bugs. Somebody give me a good guess. The answer is probably "none of the above", but I can take, I'm a tough guy.

Normand Guest

i pronounce it "midge"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Chironomidae click on the usa flag with a speaker symbol

Thanks for the pointer Normand, sounds to me like Churn, no ma die on the audio. Now I can say it and everyone will still look at me like I am saying it wrong since no one else says it that way either. Most do speak, midge though

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i pronounce it "midge"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Chironomidae click on the usa flag with a speaker symbol
    I like clickin' on the British flag better...sounds right to me!

Jeremy...who has his papers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I like clickin' on the British flag better...sounds right to me!

Jeremy...who has his papers!
    They both start with "Churrr" American ends with "die" and Brit ends with "day" and the middle sounds different on both too. Oh, the horror of it all.

Wink Spelled

Gees, Clay, you pronounce it just like it's spelled!

Clay,

Pronounce it however you like.

I say 'cron a mid' as it rolls easier off of my tongue. I never use the plural 'ae' but just add an 's' when I mean more than one..

No one understands what I mean, but I'm use to that....when I want someone to know what they really are, I say, 'them little tiny bugs that look like mosquitos but don't bite' .

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Gees, Clay, you pronounce it just like it's spelled!
    I know that you were trying to be funny, but I found myself trying to use it in a sentance with other tiers and then after my terrible attempt, I ended up saying: "You know, "C", "H", "I"....

Buddy, I'm with ya' man. It's like I attempt it then have to do an explaination. I really think Normand has it right, as usual, because even IF I say it right, no one really knows what I am talking about and another fly fisherman, pauses then says OH YEAH and then says it HIS own wrong way. I just can't sleep thinking aoubt the great questions of a fly fishing I know in the big scheme of things, who cares, but I do.

So far some have been close, but not quite (although I may have missed one):
    Its "Ky row naw mi day". Trust me on this. I sort of do biology for a living. The click on the speaker thing was hilariously off.

Quote Originally Posted by pdowney View Post
    So far some have been close, but not quite (although I may have missed one):
    Its "Ky row naw mi day". Trust me on this. I sort of do biology for a living. The click on the speaker thing was hilariously off.

Your closer but naw really??, I do believe it's [I]ee day[/I]

but don't trust me on this, as I am only an amateur

but I do love this stuff!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 09-16-2009 at 02:03 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread