+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8/9 wt line needed

Hybrid View

Default 8/9 wt line needed

I need a decent 8 or 9 wt line. I just got a deal on a TFO Pro 8wt I'd been wanting. Any recommendations under $35? I'm not a big believer in high priced lines. I see Rio's "Mainstream" is in my wheelhouse as well as the Orvis Wonderline G3's are $24.99 right now (That's a DT line but that's what I prefer usually as distance is never my problem).

I'll mostly be river fishing for LMB's, Spots, Stripers, Black Drum, etc. and sometimes on the lake for Hybrid and White Bass.

Any advice appreciated.

I have that rod and the Cortland 333+ casts pretty well on it. The Cortland 555 whatever it's called with the 2 colors also casts well and could recently be had at a discount. Is it the Dynatip? ... i can't remember.

Default Mainsteam has my vote

Quote Originally Posted by Gigante View Post
    I need a decent 8 or 9 wt line. I just got a deal on a TFO Pro 8wt I'd been wanting. Any recommendations under $35? I'm not a big believer in high priced lines. I see Rio's "Mainstream" is in my wheelhouse as well as the Orvis Wonderline G3's are $24.99 right now (That's a DT line but that's what I prefer usually as distance is never my problem).

I'll mostly be river fishing for LMB's, Spots, Stripers, Black Drum, etc. and sometimes on the lake for Hybrid and White Bass.

Any advice appreciated.
    I've got a TFO with WF8F MainStream Bas-Pike-Panfish on it. It's very slick stuff. This line is "front loaded" so it casts very well with bass bugs. I get good distance with it. It's also a bit longer, at 90ft, than the others, I like getting more for my money. I have not tried the rest but this one works for me.

Joe

Default Awesome

Thanks for the specific info on the Rio. I've got my eye on that exact line. And it can be had for about $25-30 if you look in the right place it seems.

I've got a Cortland 333 HT 9wt BBT new on the spool. $20.00 includes postage.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default So...

What's "BBT". I once had a 333HT 7wt but never even took it out of the box. Traded it for books recently. Is it WF? Is that "Rocket Taper". I can't seem to find any solid info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigante View Post
    What's "BBT". I once had a 333HT 7wt but never even took it out of the box. Traded it for books recently. Is it WF? Is that "Rocket Taper". I can't seem to find any solid info on it.
    BBT - Bass Bug Taper. It is a wf line. Cortland stopped making the HT line last year.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If I was in the market for a 9 wt, I would probably buy this TODAY :

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto....aspx?ID=45989

Tomorrow, something else might be on sale and I might buy that. I like to buy last year's lines or close outs. It was $75 last week, now it's $35, did the line change that much? Official "cheap bastid" here, so I will let other's be the early adopters and buy things at list. I have no problem with others spending list price, it's just not for me.

Default Wow

Sounds like a deal. Anyone else know anything about a Rio 3D Outbound? I have very little experience with different lines. Like Clay, I'm trying my best to make $35 go a long way...pun intended.

I actually saw a sharkskin WF8F go for $55 on ebay yesterday but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a line (especially since I only know it by reputation). $35 is about my max.

Default Line Needed

Check the clearance lines at MRFC. There are Cortland 555s for less than $30.
    http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

+ Reply to Thread