+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furling by Kathy Scott

Hybrid View

Default Furling by Kathy Scott

Kathy,

As a proud owner of your DVD I would be interested if you have made any changes in your technique since doing the DVD?... and if so what they are?

Good morning!

Just back from a long and amazing weekend in the Catskills with 125 cane rodmakers and rodmaking enthusiasts, so trying to shift gears leaves me a bit stumped... hmmm... changes.... nothing comes readily to mind that I haven't posted here over the years. The collective creative wisdom on FAOL and the British furled leader board is amazing. Some day, I may add on to the dvd a demo of a couple ways to make the Shorb knot, as well as using tippet rings, and maybe how to adjust the weight and size of the leader...

The dvd was intended to democratize the process - make it available to one and all - and to be a jumping off point. I think, personally, for my own leaders, I've refined my making to smooth out the furls in the end-loops, say, or to adapt to new fishing situations (weighted streamers in big Labrador rapids, trico fishing, or large mouth bass in my Dad's weedy farm pond), and treating the leaders, etc., but I don't personally "jump off" very far from the simple process very often

At the Catskills gathering, I did get a chance to fiddle around a bit with Juris' automatic furled leader maker (FAOLers from the Chicago area have probably seen it in action). It's a cleverly made programable device (CNC furling?) which, of course, still requires hand-stringing initially, and seems to save only the time with hands on the drill (substituting near-exact duplication in production for hand-felt detailing). I applaud the effort, but won't be engineering one any time soon! Wish I'd taken pics to share here.

Kat

Better yet, someone right up an article about this incredible machine! Furling is like tying - no one right way - and always free to personalize it to a particular water or situation.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Thanks, Kathy.
    How does he decide when to stop the machine?

Blog Entries

Default Cnc

Well I haven't a clue what this machine does in specific,
    but I spent the better part of 9 years being a CNC repair tech for Cincinnati Milacron and Bridgeport machines.

The CNC machine (regardless of what it does) takes a program as an input, so I would imagine once you have the part loaded (or initially started per the previous post) you hit a go button and it methodically reproduces a set of motions. Once it is done it simply stops moving. Hopefully in a clear position so you can work on the "part".

Can we get some info on this? Brand? Where manufactured? I'd love to get in touch with the owners for a write up and perhaps short video of the beast in action.

Takes a little of the art away perhaps, and is no doubt beyond a hobbyist level budget, but it is cool none the less.

--Ron--

I know what you mean.

I'd been hoping to see it since I met the two guys who made it at the Chicago Great Waters Expo a few years back. It was just those two, granted one was a physicist or something like that. They demo-ed all around the area, made a lifetime supply of leaders, and told me last year that it had been gathering dust. I don't know if it was just visiting the museum for the gathering (it was in the rod shop, which is also under construction, tough with the economy for the museum). I'll ask.

Kat

ps -I didn't fire it up, but it had a control panel with up and down arrows, I thought for setting the number of turns, and three hooks at that end (the two legs on the outside hooks so the number of turns would be identical, then together on the middle hook for back turning, I assume)
    Last edited by Kathy Scott; 09-15-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more info

+ Reply to Thread