+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opal tinsel

Default Opal tinsel

I found a pattern that calls for an opal tinsel. I have found all kinds of mylar including pearl, flash back, halographic, gold, silver but can't seem to locate any OPAL. Can someone shove me in the right direction. It was on a Dennis Potter fly tying pattern and he said it was new, but I can't even locate the stuff on line.

I edited this to add this on line video of the pattern that uses this material: http://www.riverhouseflyco.com/store/dvd1/example.html I own one of his DVDs and really like him as a presenter. He's a very talented tier.
    Last edited by Clay; 09-12-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Man, you're on top of that! Perfect.

I think that I kept looking for an Opal tinsel in my searches and I probably should have been searching under Mirage tinsel and Opal is the color. I knew one of our fellow tiers would shove me in the right direction. Thanks, have to have some of that.

Normand Guest

the recipe mentioned utc opal mirage tinsel

opal vs pearl. how much difference is there??
    Last edited by Normand; 09-12-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    the recipe mentioned utc opal mirage tinsel

opal vs pearl. how much difference is there??
    If you watched the video, you will notice that he is quite the salesman and you now MUST HAVE the new color Normand.

He kept refering to it as Opal so that is why I kept looking for Opal and not mirage tinsel. Yes, most people would have caught on right away but not me.

Bass_Bug Guest

I just did a google search for "opal tinsel" then clicked on images and that link was the first one shown. The main difference between opal and pearl is that opal has more irresdessnece in it, but in such a small sliver of material, I doubt it's noticable anyway.

For the 'frugal' among us...

'Colored' and 'opalescent' tinsel is becoming a big thing for tree decorating around the holidays...I've bought pearl, opal (which I see as pearlized white), plus some other colors like blue and green (plus, of course, gold and silver) at the 'after holidays' markdown sales.....enough to tie several thousand flies for around a buck (if you can wait that long to 'have' it ).

You can even find it in differing 'widths'.

I haven't had to buy 'flashabou' in years...

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    If you watched the video, you will notice that he is quite the salesman and you now MUST HAVE the new color Normand.

He kept refering to it as Opal so that is why I kept looking for Opal and not mirage tinsel. Yes, most people would have caught on right away but not me.
    yes i did watch the video, and yes he is the salesman but it would probably end up in my "what did i buy this for" box anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    I just did a google search for "opal tinsel" then clicked on images and that link was the first one shown. The main difference between opal and pearl is that opal has more irresdessnece in it, but in such a small sliver of material, I doubt it's noticable anyway.
    its practically the only thing on this page

http://www.google.com/search?q=opal+...ient=firefox-a
    Last edited by Normand; 09-14-2009 at 10:45 AM.

If you can get by the accent on this fine tier you will another use for the opal tinsel Normand: http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcP...13/E7BsYfzu1xA

That fella can move a bobbin. Rick

My wife threw away a box of stuff from her classrom today. I "rescued" some Christmas packing tinsel that could be called opal or pearl. It's now on my desk waiting for a nook or cranny to be stuffed into.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread