+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rite bobbins

Hybrid View

Default Rite bobbins

These things worth the money? It seems like it's a good concept, and would be well worth it if they performed as advertised. But I can buy 2 or 3 cheaper ones for the same price... What do ya say?

After tying with a Nor-Bobbin I'm a bit spoiled. I have tried a Rite-Bobbin since though and didn't like it initially. After using it for some time, it's a pretty nice bobbin and you can select the appropriate tension for the thread your using if you have trouble doing that by hand.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I've used most of the bobbins out there and find the Rite to be adequate. The one leg is a bit cumbersome to "palm" but I made an adjustment that fixed that for me. Having said that, I now use only the Nor Bobbins and find using a regular bobbin clunky and time wasting (because of rewinding excess thread).
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Kid,

I bought a Rite Bobbin a few years ago to use for spinning hair bass bugs. I liked the idea of being able to tighten the thread tension, and the spool post would presumably prevent hte thread spool from slipping out of the 'ears' of the normal bobbins I had.

Worked fine until it broke (the plastic spool support tube broke off at the junction with the inside flange). I put a lot of pressure on the bobbin when I'm spinning hair.

When I posted about it here, I was contacted by the Rite Bobbin manufacturer. They sent me a new one, a 'stronger' version.

I've used it for several months of heavy use, and it's held up really well so far.

I have to admit to being imprressed with their customer service. I didn't expect nor ask for a replacement (I broke it, probably wasn't designed to handle that kind of pressure, my own fault) they contacted me and offered.

I found a couple more of them at a fly shop, and bought them. I like them for heavy threads and gsp/kevlar type stuff.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn Lucas View Post
    I've used most of the bobbins out there and find the Rite to be adequate. The one leg is a bit cumbersome to "palm" but I made an adjustment that fixed that for me. Having said that, I now use only the Nor Bobbins and find using a regular bobbin clunky and time wasting (because of rewinding excess thread).
    Versus time wasting from re-spooling the mini spools to reload in the bobbin? I think the auto-retract is a cool feature, but not sure about having to re-load the mini spools everytime you need a thread change.

Curious as to how many mini spools come with the bobbin and how much to purchase additional spools to keep loaded with different sizes and colors? I have not written this off yet, but am not completely sold yet either. And I'm not sure I want to buy a half dozen bobbins at that price.

I only have two of them but will buy some more. I did experience a couple of problems and contacted the maker and he told me how to fix them. It was quicker than sending them back and him fixing them.

One of the ceramic tubes came loose and I super glued it back in place. Both of the plastic sleeves that the cover the ceramic tubes are both loose now and I will super glue those back in place too. I like the thread control of the tension adjustment. But bluntly the quality control was pretty bad. They should just sell them as a kit and let me assemble them right the first time instead of having to rebuild them as I go.

i had a rite bobbin once... tied one fly with it then threw it in the trash... wasnt impressed with it in any way, didnt like it none at all... i do have 3 ekich bobbins which i really like...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Blog Entries

Smile Rite Bobbins

Quivira kid,

I have been using Rite Bobbins for about 9 years now and love them. I have a small arsenal of them, short ones, long ones, ceramic ones. They are great. I tie now with a Nor-Vise and I use both the Nor-Vise bobbins and the Rite Bobbins. I simply mounted the bobbin holding rod on a vice stand and can move it in closer to the Nor-Vise when I use the Rite Bobbin.

They are well worth the money and the adjustable tension feature is great. You can change threads really fast and easy.

Buy one and give it a try. They are a whole lot better than the old Wish Bone style which I use now to hold my brass and copper wire spools.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I guess I'll have to break down, buy one, and just check it out for myself. A majority of what I tie is size 8-14 wet flies targeting bluegill and rainbows. Nothing high-tension or super small. (for now!)

Larry, how the heck are ya? I haven't talked to you in ages!

Zac

One thing to note about Rite bobins is that you can no longer read the label on the thread that you have spooled up. At first it drove me crazy. If you only have a couple of bobins, that's one thing if you have a ton of bobins laying around with different kinds of thread in the it can be frustrating. I really like UTC thread in the Rite bobins, they have a colored plastic disc on the end of the spool. Red, yellow and green to match the different deniers of 70, 140 and 210. I have taken a fine pt sharpie and marked the edge of the spools too. Just thought that you should be aware of this. Dispite all of their problems, I still will order more. You don't need to pay $25 each for them either. Shop around, closer to $18 can be had pretty easily and less if you really scrounge.

+ Reply to Thread