About that time of year - going back to the larger rivers with stonefly nymphs. Wondered how the FEB concept might be applied to the nymphs. Sat down at the tying desk this morning with a rough idea. After several "close but not quite" attempts, number four came out pretty much like what I had in mind.

The size is reasonably close to the rubber legs pattern that has been my go to stonefly nymph for the past several years. The r.l. is tied on a size 6 4XL streamer hook. For the FEB, I dropped down to a size 8 2XL hopper hook. The overall length is just about the same. But I think the silhouette is improved with the FEB, and I am reasonably confident that the action will be improved, also.

That leaves color, which is the lowest priority. The FEB is a couple strands of Stone Brown antron yarn and one strand of Brown Olive antron yarn. The tails / antennae / legs material adds a bit of color and texture to the FEB as it is incorporated in the extended body, similar to the JC Salmonfly and LF Golden Stone dries that worked so well earlier in the year. The back part of the brown chenile body is a single wrap, and the front part is a double layer of chenile.

Underneath the chenile body are 20 wraps of non-lead wire, almost the entire length of the shank. Beefs up the main body some, and should get the fly down pretty well.

Expect to go throw a tandem of these nymphs at some trouts on the South Fork with my 7 wt this afternoon, if I can find some. Wish me luck.

John