+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how tall are you

Hybrid View

Talking how tall are you

I am wondering how many of you are over the 6 foot mark and how easy is it for you to find, wader vest or any other apparrel that applys to our sport. I know being over 6foot 6inches made finding wader a real hassel let along when your built on my lines. No one could say I was built like a fence post. I am couris on how you found your stuff to seek the almighty fish pursuit with a fly.
    Ghost.

I'm 6' 4", about 240 lbs, and always have a hard time finding any kind of clothes that really fit. I seem to find a lot of pants with 38 waist and 34 inseam, but then with a larger waist of 40, they want us to shrink to 32 inseam.
    Tall sizes aren't always available, so if I need to, I get stuff that is one size larger in a regular size to accommodate the length.
    I don't remember what size my waders are, but I think they were 2XL or 3XL to accommodate my long legs, so they are really baggy!!!
    My wife is short so she has the same problems at the other end of the spectrum.
    Mike

6'6" 260. Waders weren't too hard to find. I have used both Simms and Cloud Veil and they have been ok.

I also had a pair of neoprene custom made by a company called BARE. The local sporting good shop took all my measurements and sent them in to have the boots made. Fit like a glove. A little pricey but when you are our size you have to pay the price.

I have not found a vest that I am satisfied with but not just in size -- most have pockets that are too small for the fly boxes I use -- or not enough pockets.

Hi Orthoman,

I'm 5'8", and have no problem finding stuff.

However, one advantage you have, IF you can find the vest is that at your size, you should be able to have room for more pockets or much bigger pockets on your vest than I can have on mine, so yours should be able to hold more fly boxes than mine. Simply because a vest that fits you will be a lot bigger than a vest that fits me.

Hope you can find that size of vest.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Gandolf

Gray Ghost,
    I'm 6' even and weigh in at 260. So I have to go with a stout size of wader or at least an XXL. That makes my inseam at least 2" too long and my stocking foot size at least 2 sizes too big. I have to deal with the baggy stuff.
    I'm sure that if price was no object, it wouldn't be a problem but price IS an object.
    Last edited by Lotech; 09-11-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Waders are tuff if you are a hair under 5' 8" but you have a 36" inseam.

6'6" 300+
    xxxl waders from Simms or Cabellas.
    Size 15 wading boots from Hodgeman

Oh, (non fly fishing here) and if the other big guys are looking for nice clothes, Dillards has an exclusive deal with Ralph Lauren for big and tall clothes up to 4xlt. ONLY Dillards sells this stuff, you can't even get it in a Ralph store. They also carry a Dillards brand (Roundtree) that has decent stuff.

Blog Entries

6'4", 230, but with 36" inseam... But right on the edge of easy-finding-clothes. My son is almost my height and 80# lighter... He has some baggy stuff...

My wife is tiny, also, at 5' nothing, with tiny feet. Simms customs are her only real option.
    art

Fly Goddess
    The name makes sense now!

Cold Guest

While I'm pretty easy to surround with a pair of waders (5' 10", approx. 180), my dad is a bit more of a challenge (6'-1", 350). He got a pair of neoprenes last year online from some place that specialized in big & tall. Got a good price too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Waders are tuff if you are a hair under 5' 8" but you have a 36" inseam.
    Girl, those legs must go forever. Sorry, I'm in a mood this morning, need more coffee.

Rick

While no where close to 6'6", I thought that Simms would make waders to your measurements. If you're short with big feet or tall with small feet or have other non standard types of measurements, I'm pretty confident that Simms can take care of you for a cost.
    Last edited by Clay; 09-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread