+ Reply to Thread

Thread: L@@king for a fly tying vise

Hybrid View

Default L@@king for a fly tying vise

The Lord said "ask and you shall receive" so here it goes...

I need a new fly vise...a rotary would be great - but something that's simply dependable and that hold a hook tight is more important to me at this point. Don't mind paying for it either, just don't have much to spend on one right now. I had a "starter vise" that I have wore the jaws out on. So, if anyone has a good one hanging around collecting dust let me know. Thanks and happy fishing!

Blog Entries

Welcome to FAOL.

a danvise looks like what you need, it is a fantastic vise for a bargain price you can get them on eBay new for less than most rotaries used. If that is too much for your budget let us know how low you need to go.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

hook and hackle, a site sponsor, carries a rotary vise for under $60. check them out!

http://www.hookhack.com/vises.html

The H&H EZ Rotary is a decent vise in my opinion unless your going to be tying a LOT of flies..the knob adjustments will wear your fingers raw but no more so than any other knob/non-cam vises.

Other than that, I am happy with the vise all the way...add the bobin holder in order to use the rotary function and your good to go.

I am going to eventually modify the knobs on the jaws by simply notching them and adding a shrt piece of ridgid bar to them to allow for leverage when turning...should be an easy, 15 minute job at best when I finally get annoyed enough at grippng those little knobs.

Cold Guest

You'll get a huge range of opinions on this one.

Let me add my 2 cents:

A few months back I switched from a starter vise to a Regal. It rotates, but it's not "true" rotary on the shank-axis, if that's what you're looking for.

For me, it's perfect. Rock-solid grip, and allows me to tie a #22 dry and switch to a #2 streamer with no adjustment.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    I am going to eventually modify the knobs on the jaws by simply notching them and adding a shrt piece of ridgid bar to them to allow for leverage when turning...should be an easy, 15 minute job at best when I finally get annoyed enough at grippng those little knobs.
    or head on down to home depot or lowes or your local hardware store and get a thumb screw to replace the original one.

http://www.instockfasteners.com/IMAG...00500-P-21.jpg
    Last edited by Normand; 09-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Exactly the idea Normand just haven't matched the thread yet.

+ Reply to Thread