Sport fishing column for Sept 8 to 14, 2009

We are back from the south east Kootenays, after scouting out the venues to be fishing in the upcoming Canadian National Fly Fishing Championship. It was a trip Kim has wanted me to get off the Thompson and take for three years. While I have seen much of the rest our province I had never traveled any of the border country east of Creston. Nice country over there and I would recommend it for your next fishing vacation. As for the fishing, as usual I will not tell you how many fish we caught or how big they were, but will say the fishing over there is well worth the trip. As for the three venues chosen for the championship; Loon Lake is one of the toughest lakes I have fished even by lower mainland standards. Elk River is a good producer and Summit Lake (in the Crows Nest Pass) is AAA; with lots of willing fish and more than an even chance of landing coho sized rainbows. It is also one of the best bank fisheries we have found short of the Trout Park where we teach our fly fishing classes.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is only fair due to the unsettled weather. Watch the barometer and take advantage of any upward swings in pressure. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Royal Coachman, Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible.

Bass, and panfish fishing are fair to good. For bass and panfish try: Clouser's Deep Minnow, Crayfish, Poppers, Big Black, Stimulator, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Tied down Minnow, or Tom Thumb.

All our interior lakes are fishing very well, with fish to 8 lb reported. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. If dry fly is your fancy try: Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is open again and fishing well for spring, pink, and cutthroat. For pink try Pink Eve, Cathy's Coat, pink Wooly Bugger, Happy Hooker, pink Popsicle, or pink Bunny Leach. For spring try Big Black, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, GP, Flat Black or Eggo. For cutthroat try Stickleback, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Coachman, Sixpack, Zulu, or Souboo.

The Stave River is good for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Big Black, Zulu, Souboo, Royal Coachman, Elk Hair Caddis, Kaufmann's Stone, Adams, Irresistible, Stimulator, or Renegade.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow.

The Harrison is good for rainbow, cutthroat, and pink.

The Thompson River is good for rainbow. Spring and pink are open until Sept 20th. For those big Thompson bows try: Joe's Hopper, Kaufmann's Stone, Irresistible, Tom Thumb, Elk Hair Caddis, Rolled Muddler, or Stimulator.

Our fall fly fishing classes will be starting soon; call us at 1-604-820-4099 to book your spot.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".