Well, after roughly three years of trying to hook a steelhead on the Fabled N. Umpqua River, I finally got one.
I got a call from a friend late last night asking if I wanted to join him for a trip up to the Steamboat area of the fly water. I had heard he was very adept at catching the critters so I went. I really didn't do anything different from what I had done oh so many times before, except now the curse has lifted.
I saw my first steelhead battle on that river taking place by another angler as we were walking down to the pools we would be trying. Later my friend would hook into one only to be broken off by a wiley fish accustomed to pulling leaders across the jagged ledge rock that makes up the Steamboat pools. We were about to call it a morning when Don suggested we try one more time just a few yards upriver from where we had been. Yahoo, fish on. A very determined wild buck probably only 5 or 6 pounds came to hand after what seemed like ten minutes, but was more likely 5 minutes. I left my camera in the truck, but probably would have not attempted a photo anyway because I figured the fish was tired. However, once the hook was out He was off like a rocket. Now we are both a little wiser.
Gary