Well, that was a bust. First trip to Florida in years where I didn't catch a single fish of any species on the fly rod. And, I broke the tip off of my 8wt to boot. Wish it was my TFO 6wt - this one is a custom, so no warranty...

Beautiful area, and AWESOME grass flats. Took my Ultimate 12 kayak so I could get wherever I needed.

On the Friday before we left for home, I got to the bay just in time for a redfish feeding frenzy - Right near the launch I saw what appeared to be a school of 10-15 reds with their tails in the air. I threw almost everything I had in the fly box at them that looked shrimpy, including some patterns that were given to me by local red fishermen. Nothing. I couldn't get them to so much as look at the fly. I stood there in my kayak and terrorized them with a fly for almost an hour.

It's gotta be technique and presentation. I'm a decent trout fisherman (freshwater) and have taken some HUGE stripers in the TN river, but I haven't a clue how to fish for a redfish. Usually I can get into a sea trout or two, or if I'm lucky a ladyfish, but not this time... Nothing, nada, zilch.

I did so bad that I got mad and went to the surf side with a spinning rod and frozen shrimp just so I wouldn't go home completely skunked. Even then I only manged a puny little flounder and a nice ladyfish...

Jeff