+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beavers Bend

Default Beavers Bend

Hey folks, first time out here and while I've been hiding in the shadows a few weeks I have taken a great amount of knowledge and have come to love the simple flys! I normally fish the Lower Illinois river but have been wanting to go to the Mountain Fork for some time but with me living in OKC it's a pretty good trip down there and with being in the budget catagory I'd hate to make a trip and get the ol' skunked! I guess I'm looking for some good area's that I can wade in and fish, and I'm after some suggestions? yep this is one post where I'd LIKE to hear you opionion. Later,

Kirk

Welcome aboard! If you like simple flies,
    click on Al Campbell listed under FEATURES and check out his 'too simple' flies. You'll love them.

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 05 January 2006).]

Kirk,
    I think you would really like Beavers Bend and the Lower Mountain Fork. Definitely worth the trip from OKC. Spillway Creek below the dam is very much like a mountain stream and holds some pretty good fish. You would have to do some walking, but there is a trail that runs pretty much along the creek. The Evening Hole area is sometimes pretty good also. If you don't mind doing a little hiking, Zone 2 below the old park dam at the south end of the park can be a very good area when they are not generating. This time of year, and with the lack of rainfall, there shouldn't be much problem with them generating. The last time I was there, in early November, most of the fish we were catching were in the 14-20 inch range. You can check with Jesse King at the Three Rivers Fly Shop just outside the park or with Sid Ingram at the Beavers Bend Fly Shop within the park and might be able to get some useful information about locations and flies. However, remember that these guys also guide or provide guides along the river, so they are probably not going to give you any really specific info about the hot spots unless you hire a guide, and that gets expensive. If you haven't already checked into it, you might want to get on Sid's web site, [url=http://www.beaversbendflyshop.com,:2f922]www.beaversbendflyshop.com,[/url:2f922] and pose any questions there. Most of the people that post on there are pretty knowledgeable about the river and are happy to answer questions.

Larry Compton

The LMF is a nice place. My daughter caught her first trout on a fly rod there over Thanksgiving weekend out of the pool at the start of Spillway Creek.

Last weekend, one the folks in our FF'ing club caught a 17 in Brown from Spillway Creek. He was using a very small Zebra midge fly. Small, olive wooly bugger style flies were working for me over Thanksgiving.

I may go there myself next week.

Good luck,
    Rex

Wow thanks for the fast reply's! I was thinking about putting the change together and getting a guide for say half a day or so, I've got a couple fella's to fish with but it's a little difficult to get schedules together for a couple day trip! and the Blue river has been anything but good to me the last two trips! so I figure a little later or the first of next month me and the wife might make a trip that way. Any suggestions on guides or fly selection so I can get a few tied prior to the trip. Thanks again! Later,

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread