+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fran Betters

Default Fran Betters

It is with heavy heart that I pass along the news of Fran Betters passing away this weekend. Anyone interested in sending condolences here is the address.

Mrs. Fran (Jan) Betters
    Adirondack Sport Shop
    P.O. Box 125
    Wilmington, NY 12997

That is sad news. I have his book, "Fran Better's Fly Fishing, Fly Tying and Pattern Guide", that he signed. Thanks for letting us know.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Another Legend has "Gone Home"

Fran Betters, passed away quietly while he slept, at home, Sunday morning.

Fran created what's probably the greatest dry fly ever, the Usual and he was also known for the Ausable Wulff, Haystack, Bomber and Comparidun, among others.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 09-08-2009 at 02:22 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Fran was bigger than life in the Adirondacks. He has been ill with very limited mobility for some time. Fly fishing has lost another innovative master.
    Max

Blog Entries

Sad news indeed....just received email about Fran's passing
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Thumbs up Good by to my friend

My name is Dave(Brookie) Brookman
    about twelve years ago i had the pleasure of meeting a person that i feel quickly became a friend, his name was Fran Betters.
    Many of you out there have eather met him or know of him.
    Here in the Adirondacks and to all of us out there in the world of fly fishing he will be missed.
    His friendly smile and eagerness to share a joke,a bit of information about his much loved home water the West branch of the Ausable River was always there to be had by all that walked threw the doors of his shop.
    I was one of those that walked threw those doors, and i am so glad that i did.
    To those choosen few that knew Fran and could be called his friend,I think Fran would say,( Get your gear together, I'll be scouting out the rivers and streams up here and we will meet again)
    Fran, thanks for being a friend
    Dave( Brookie) Brookman

I don't like it when names mentioned in my "old fly pattern book" pass.
    I can only hope that Fran is waking in one of the best places ever right now, and has all the patterns to be successfull there.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Default The Price of being Mortal!

It is sad to hear of someones death, that we knew, either by their writings, deeds, or who we knew as a personal friend! I am sixty years old, I am older than most people who lived a hundred years ago. I am older than the soldiers that I had to body bag, in Vietnam.

We all are give opportunities to make something of our lives, to leave a legacy behind for others, to help make their road through life, somewhat easier. We all blaze trails, and never knowing in our lifetime, if anyone will follow.

To embrace life, you also have to be willing to embrace your demise, and pray that there is a purpose for this gift you were given, and that death is only a doorway into another room. Where all your friends who have moved on before you, are there to welcome you!

I was blessed to survive August 12th 1970. when Bill and I were the soul survivors on a hilltop in Vietnam, Bill died while on the operation table at the 18th Surgical Hospital, after I had my wound wrapped, I went back out into the field with the Rapid Deployment group, to recover the bodies of the rest of my squad......

So I guess that I have a different comprenstion about life and death, and how a persons death effects individuals....

When Al Campbell died of brain cancer, I felt a loss, but I also felt the gift that he gave me, with his mentoring, his friendship, and his time. I try to celebrate the liives of those who touched mine, to somehow make the future brighter for those that will come behind us.

Platoon Sergeant, U.S. Army, Retired
    1968-1995
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 09-08-2009 at 07:57 AM.

If you go to the front page here at FAOL and scroll down to the bottom of the page, then click on "Great Rivers," you can read about the Ausauble Of New York. Fran Betters is mentioned prominently there. And there is a picture of his shop.
    Last edited by Lotech; 09-08-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Saddened

I met Fran only once, but that was enough to know he was a good man. Sorry to hear this news.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread