+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayak

Hybrid View

1. Default Kayak

Anyone using a Kayak for fly fishing. Was thinking of going to the florida keys. My thought was I could possibly get to some area to fish without a guide. My stay could be up to a month. I am interested in catching any species of fish. I had rather have a lot of action on any sized fish than a trophy fish. thanks freddyg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freddyg View Post
    Anyone using a Kayak for fly fishing. Was thinking of going to the florida keys. My thought was I could possibly get to some area to fish without a guide. My stay could be up to a month. I am interested in catching any species of fish. I had rather have a lot of action on any sized fish than a trophy fish. thanks freddyg
    I fly fish from my kayak all the time. No problem whatsoever. Where are you going to stay in the Keys?
    Steve

3. Default kayak

Steve, thanks for the reply. I want to stay in Key West or Marathon, but I am open to any suggestions. I thought I would be able to fish off the beach, but what I have read this does not seem too productive. thanks freddyg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freddyg View Post
    Steve, thanks for the reply. I want to stay in Key West or Marathon, but I am open to any suggestions. I thought I would be able to fish off the beach, but what I have read this does not seem too productive. thanks freddyg
    Islamorada is perhaps the best bonefish area in the Keys and there are many kayak-accessbile flats within paddling range. If I had to choose between Key West and Marathon, I would take the latter. Marathon has fair bonefish. It's better for permit. You'll also encounter sharks and barracuda on the flats. You'll get tarpon, snapper and other species in the cuts.
    Steve

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Get the paperback book The Florida Keys Paddling Guide by ~~ Bill Keogh.

Great book with maps, put-in spots, a little history about each island you may paddle to or around, things/fish/wildlife you may encounter,etc,etc.

Seriously, I own two of them.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

6. Default kayak

Steve and Gils Gone Wild, Thanks for the information. I have the book ordered. Any thoughts on the Freedom Hawk? thanks freddyg

+ Reply to Thread