+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DRESS FOR SUCCESS - Our Man From Canada - September 7, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default DRESS FOR SUCCESS - Our Man From Canada - September 7, 2009

DRESS FOR SUCCESS

Chris isn't talking about the same clothes our grandparents used to fish in. Chis is talking about modern materials that give you an edge. After all if you are comfortable while you fish you focus more on the fishing part, right?

Thanks, Chris, for the nice article re outdoor clothing. I especially liked the warning about blue jeans having been caught out wearing them in a wet spring snowstorm in Wisconsin many years ago. How did cowboys do it? Just tougher than me, I reckon.
    Thanks again.
    mcsteff

How did cowboys do it? Just tougher than me, I reckon.
    LOL!! actually, ... you won't find many REAL cowboys wearing tight blue jeans on the range (at the Brass Rail on Seymours street in the late '80's on a weekend off, ... well that's another story).

Jeans are hard wearing long lasting threads. They just don't have the same flexibility and range of movement of other materials.
    Christopher Chin

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Question for Chris or anyone else

I've got an Aussie style hat that I love but which is definitely not properly sealed on the seams. I hesitate to ask this question but it is serious. How do I wax the cracks and with what? I'm Ok in a light rain but a really heavy rain starts to leak through every where. I would sure like to keep my head dry inside during a total down pour. I don't think the subject of crack waxing has ever come up on FAOL before. Thanks for any suggestions. 8T

Smile

8T,

I use a wax such as Backhouse, but other brands include "Duckback Dressing", "Lincoln - Solid Wax Dressing" or "Barbour Wax Dressing").

My hat doesn't leak, except where the drawstring passes through.
    As I'm not too big on "looks", I SLATHER on the wax. Actually, I pre-heat the can of wax in warm water, rub it all over with my fingers, than add a bead all around the stitching/seam where the brim attaches to the cap and where the "walls" of the cap join the top panel.

Then I use a hair dryer on low to melt the wax into the seam. I have a 3/4 Barbour jacket for fall and winter and do the same for it.

If you want, I suppose one could also use SnowSeal and use as described above. Can't find cotton wax at the shop, ... look up "riding apparel" find a good Equestrian center ... Also, any one who sells Barbour products will carry wax treatments.

How much to use, ... well, a can will barely dress a full length riding jacket. On one hat, I'll use about 1/3 of a can! ... If possible, I like to leave it out in the summer sun for a spell, some of the wax will actually drip off at midday.
    Christopher Chin

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Thanks Chris!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick response to my question. That's exactly the information I needed. I'm planning to stay warm and dry in out next downpour. 8T

+ Reply to Thread