Thread: Learning, but now have a problem

Threaded View

Default Learning, but now have a problem

So, I've gotten a little more experience under my belt fishing on the fly. Last weekend, I hit my newest fishing spot and pulled out a couple of smallish bluegills, but got extremely frustrated.
    I just couldn't cast worth a darn (with my limited experience) and just realized my frustration level wasn't matching up to what the experience was supposed to be, so I called it an early day and took note of what I thought I was doing wrong.
    Not wanting a repeat, I started my fishing trip this morning with my spinning gear on a lake near where I live (yes, I'm lucky to have several fishing opportunities withing a less than 30 minute drive), and had no plans of pulling out my fly rod.
    However, after hitting a few smallies on the spinning rod, and kinda being bored, I decided to move to a tailwater area below the dam where I was fishing and pull out the fly rod, and am I glad I did.
    The river is not known for its fly fishing opportunities, and I don't think I've ever seen a fly fisherman in that area. I scrambled down the rocky shoreline and began casting, and, surprise, I was on point this morning.
    I finally began falling into a rhythm, literally. My boss, also a fly fisherman, had mentioned to me during the work week the idea of using a metronome in practice, and being a musician by hobby, I started thinking in terms of beats as I cast.
    I couldn't have found a better method, as I was able, about 45 percent of the time, to put the fly where I wanted it, with minimal false casting. Now that I've got my brain on the right track to fly fish, I can only see myself going forward with it.
    I've also attached a picture of one of the fish I nabbed today on the fly, a bluegill that was not only the biggest one I've ever caught, but was also the hardest fighting bluegill I have ever landed. It was great fun.
    However, I also now have a problem. My reel, which came with my $20 Martin fly fishing set, messed up. Part of the drag mechanism separated from the reel and I couldn't find it. Now I have no drag. I can still use the reel through the rest of the season, but am going to have to buy a new one prior to the spring.
    Any recommendations on the best place to purchase one, and any recommendations on the best and lowest-cost fly reels available? I'm not looking for the Cadillac of reels here, just what works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."

- Herbert Hoover