+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning, but now have a problem

Default Learning, but now have a problem

So, I've gotten a little more experience under my belt fishing on the fly. Last weekend, I hit my newest fishing spot and pulled out a couple of smallish bluegills, but got extremely frustrated.
    I just couldn't cast worth a darn (with my limited experience) and just realized my frustration level wasn't matching up to what the experience was supposed to be, so I called it an early day and took note of what I thought I was doing wrong.
    Not wanting a repeat, I started my fishing trip this morning with my spinning gear on a lake near where I live (yes, I'm lucky to have several fishing opportunities withing a less than 30 minute drive), and had no plans of pulling out my fly rod.
    However, after hitting a few smallies on the spinning rod, and kinda being bored, I decided to move to a tailwater area below the dam where I was fishing and pull out the fly rod, and am I glad I did.
    The river is not known for its fly fishing opportunities, and I don't think I've ever seen a fly fisherman in that area. I scrambled down the rocky shoreline and began casting, and, surprise, I was on point this morning.
    I finally began falling into a rhythm, literally. My boss, also a fly fisherman, had mentioned to me during the work week the idea of using a metronome in practice, and being a musician by hobby, I started thinking in terms of beats as I cast.
    I couldn't have found a better method, as I was able, about 45 percent of the time, to put the fly where I wanted it, with minimal false casting. Now that I've got my brain on the right track to fly fish, I can only see myself going forward with it.
    I've also attached a picture of one of the fish I nabbed today on the fly, a bluegill that was not only the biggest one I've ever caught, but was also the hardest fighting bluegill I have ever landed. It was great fun.
    However, I also now have a problem. My reel, which came with my $20 Martin fly fishing set, messed up. Part of the drag mechanism separated from the reel and I couldn't find it. Now I have no drag. I can still use the reel through the rest of the season, but am going to have to buy a new one prior to the spring.
    Any recommendations on the best place to purchase one, and any recommendations on the best and lowest-cost fly reels available? I'm not looking for the Cadillac of reels here, just what works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."

- Herbert Hoover

One word, as far as I can tell.
    Pflueger.
    What a great American standby, and very reliable.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Rcassady,

If possible, I would suggest you invest in a little better outfit than a $20.00 one. $20.00 doesn't buy much, as your reel problem would attest.

It will assuredly help you with your casting and enjoyment of the sport.

Pflueger is a good suggestion for a reel. Try to find one appropriate that was made in the USA. Many listed for sale on the World's largest bazaar. The older Martin MG-3 is also a good little reel for the money.

As to a rod, I'll leave that up to the more knowledgable folks here as to a good, minimal cost graphite or fiberglass one.

Good luck, and I think with some better equipment your fishing will improve much faster!

bobbyg
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

As far as I can tell there are a good many reels out there capable of fulfilling the needs of most of us from around $30 upward to the sky's the limit. I have several of the reels Bass Pro / Outdoor World sell under Hobbs Creek and Dogwood Canyon and have been very happy with all of them. Now I have never had a bonefish rip off 150 yards of line but have a couple of 7#+ grass carp and +/- 6 lb. bass and catfish that gave the drags a decent fresh water test.

Just my personal opinion, but, I recommend you stay away from "automatics" for a number of reason.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

You certainly don't have to invest a whole lot into a reel -- particularly one for bass and panfish. It's only purpose is to store the line at the end of the day. It rarely is called upon as a fighting tool.

I use TFO reels.
    Steve

All good thoughts. I fish a lot like you do, and I've used a cummy Okuma reel that was thrown in when I bought the rod on close-out. The kind of fishing I do, I've palmed the reel a few times, but have never lost a fish because of the reel (I prefer to do a lot of other dumb things to lose fish). I'd agree, Pflueger would be a good choice

I would probably look at Cabelas'> I hate to endorse alot of Asian made stuff but you should be able to find a very fishable combo for around $100. That would be my idea of ashoestring budget fly fishing rig.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I've got two "lower end" Cabela's combos and love them. If you're looking for a reel only, I've also got an Okuma reel on my 3-wt and have zero complaints.

I think the main thing I learned starting out is you can't force the cast. Relax, take your time, and you'll start to feel your rod load. Casting and placing the fly is half the fun. Using the metronome idea is a good one!

Just keep at it, relax, and enjoy time out on the water!

The metronome idea is a good one, as long as your casting a fixed amount of line. At say 30 feet of line out, the tempo would stay the same. Add 5 or 10 feet to that, and the tempo has to slow slightly. You have to wait that extra half beat for the added line to finish unrolling on the back cast. Don't slow down your stroke, just add time at each end. To my limited experience, for a given set of circumstances, (wind, rod, line and fly being the same) your stroke shouldn't change with distance. Only the pauses at each end of the stroke.

(I hope that makes sense. I think I just had a moment of clarity. It scared me. Now if I can just remember all of this the next time I'm on the water.)

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    I would probably look at Cabelas'>
    Here is a nice rig that will be balanced and put a big smile on your face for very little $$.
    Rod, reel, flyline, backing for $50.00. Check the reviews.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...457&hasJS=true

+ Reply to Thread