+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metalic accent thread problems

Hybrid View

Default Metalic accent thread problems

I am in the process of making my first rod (8'6" 3 wt 4 pc on a Rainshadow blank). The guide wraps look great but nowhere in the many articles I have read on rod building did anyone warn of the crankiness of metalic accent thread. In order to get it to lock, I seem to need 6-7 wraps which makes a pretty thick accent line. When I use fewer, it simply unravels. I thought about using a drop of super glue but felt it would be better to get some expert advice before proceeding.
    JW

I use super glue. One or two trim wraps and a little dab 'll do ya. When you go over it with your choice of wrap finishes you'll never notice how it was done.

Blog Entries

Smile

This might help you. You can make 2-3- or 4 turn wraps with metallic thread. For a 4 turn wrap:........Wind the tread on as usual using 2 turns , then overlap (do not cut off the excess tag end). Then place in your pull loop , take two more turns and pull it though the loop. This leaves you with two tag ends. Grab the two tag ends and pull them apart from each other tightening the treads. Then cut off both tag ends. The trick here is not to cut off the first tag end like you would normally do when continuing on with a wrap.........Hope that helps........Ed

Tiny touch of super glue on the thread with a tooth pick. Single turns, doubles, then I go by the way ET described above if I'm using more than 2 turns.

Steve

You need to prepare for the accent wrap when doing your primary wrap. Place a tie-off loop onto the blank BEFORE starting your main wrap, with the open loop facing AWAY from the guide foot. Proceed with the primary wrap as usual, moving the tie-off out of position after 5-6 wraps. After completing the primary wrap, you now have a tie-off loop in position for an accent wrap of a single or double revolution. Simply make a pass or two around the blank and then pull BOTH ends through the tie-off while gently nudging the accent band into position as the gap is closed. With a bit of practice and proper burnishing, it will look absolutely perfect.

Another way that is simple, which will allow for a three wrap accent. Tape the accent thread onto the blank BEFORE wrapping the primary wrap. Start your primary and after 15-20 turns, cut the tag end of the accent thread that is extending into the main wrap. Finish your main wrap and then go back to the accent thread that is taped. Immediately position a tie-off loop and make your three revolutions and pull through. You will find that three wraps holds when the other end has 15-20 turns. It will allow you to put a bit of extra tension onto the accent wrap, therefore keeping it in position.
    Last edited by TampaJim; 09-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.

I've tried using superglue before and have had problems with it turning the thread black. For those of you who mentioned using superglue-do you have that problem? Is there a specific type or brand of glue that won't turn the thread black?

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    You need to prepare for the accent wrap when doing your primary wrap. Place a tie-off loop onto the blank BEFORE starting your main wrap, with the open loop facing AWAY from the guide foot. Proceed with the primary wrap as usual, moving the tie-off out of position after 5-6 wraps. After completing the primary wrap, you now have a tie-off loop in position for an accent wrap of a single or double revolution. Simply make a pass or two around the blank and then pull BOTH ends through the tie-off while gently nudging the accent band into position as the gap is closed. With a bit of practice and proper burnishing, it will look absolutely perfect.
    This worked great. Thx for the tip.
    JW

+ Reply to Thread