+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Orvis does it again

Default Inetresting Thread!

It's always fun to see people discussing the latest and greatest er... most expensive.

I hope everybody who wants either version can find a way to snag it! I'll pass.

Personally my conversion to retro gear is well under way. Just got back from fishing a favorite spot with my H-I Gladding 8ft fiberglass fitted with a brown paint Martin 63 tuna can reel. Positively slayed the finny creatures on size ten Clouser minnows at the end of an Olympic fly line. I never noticed being under-equiped as I brought these fish to net.

I think my season license cost more that this entire rig off Ebay.

I'm finding I'm more interested in the game than the props.

Happy camper here!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I feel compelled to say that I like "Orvis Stuff." Without looking at the price tag as an indicator of quality, I think most all the Orvis products are very desirable. That aside, and regardless of price, I still want a Z-Axis more than any other fish stick. It's going to take a long time to save up the loot, but from what I've test cast, the Z-Axis is my favorite.
    Joe,

save yourself some $$$ and find you a Sage RPL in the right length and line weight you desire. The Z's cast nice but the build quality on current Sage premium rods ain't up to snuff with the standards they set back in the eighties. The only Major premium rods out there that are excellent builds with good cork are Winston's IMHO. I don't even care much for Winston tapers, but I can't argue with their exceptionaly high quality! I liked the old unsanded Orvis blanks for their value and fishability...they even casted pretty darn good in the yard.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I don't think the new rod will kill Helios sales. It won't have an affect. People that are able to spend $700 on a rod will do so. They'll want the Recoil guides, and other bling that comes on the rods. The folks that the new rods will appeal to are ones like me that will never (utill I win the lottery) buy a $700 rod but might stretch the budget for a one time $500 rod, maybe to be my main trout rod. However, for $500, I can buy a Sage Z-Axis blank, recoil guides, a nice REC reel seat and roll my own. For non-rod builders, I think it will sell . . . and I think people will continue buying the $700 rods.

Look at all the people that drive Hummers in cities. They NEED a Hummer right? Yea . . . If the money is there, they'll spend it, need or not.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Default Does it matter?

As long as I have food, clothing, and shelter, and uh, well internet and cable, and I'm not in debt, does it really matter how MUCH or how LITTLE I spend on a pleasure. Do you win something if you spend the most or the least?

I fish 3 rods. One is low-end, one is mid-range, and one is high-end. The mid and the high were above my personal limit and I was lucky enough to find them at 50% and 40% off respectively, but that is not the point. The point is that I love all 3. They make me happy and no one's gotten hurt.

If you think that having the most expensive stuff makes you a better human then please, don't fish with me. If you think that anyone who spends more than you would is an idiot, then please, don't fish with me. To me, it is only about the fun and the therapy that FFing provides.

And remember what that great philosopher, George Carlin said, "My stuff is STUFF, your stuff is S---!"
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Interesting thread, and I think the thread itself explains EXACTLY why companies (not just fly fishing equipment companies but any company that sells merchandise to the public) does what they do. You have the gamut here in this thread: "I would never spend the extra money to get something that costs 40% more just for a few extra bells and whistles" (Toyota/Lexus?), to "I love their stuff and will save up to get their top of the line equipment". I was in the golf business for 25 years and that's EXACTLY why they make as many models and price points as they do. You have those who want the latest and greatest, to those who will wait until another model comes out to get the previous latest and greatest for less, to those who will only buy the lower price point models. It what makes the world go 'round - and what keeps companies in business through good economic times and bad.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    I don't think the new rod will kill Helios sales. It won't have an affect. People that are able to spend $700 on a rod will do so. They'll want the Recoil guides, and other bling that comes on the rods. The folks that the new rods will appeal to are ones like me that will never (utill I win the lottery) buy a $700 rod but might stretch the budget for a one time $500 rod, maybe to be my main trout rod. However, for $500, I can buy a Sage Z-Axis blank, recoil guides, a nice REC reel seat and roll my own. For non-rod builders, I think it will sell . . . and I think people will continue buying the $700 rods.

Look at all the people that drive Hummers in cities. They NEED a Hummer right? Yea . . . If the money is there, they'll spend it, need or not.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! Bang on.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

My comment was not to say people should or should not do anything. I was simply trying to say, there is a market for $700 rods, there is a market for $500 rods, and there is a market for $200 rods. Does anyone NEED a $700 rods to fly fish. No. Do people like fishing with $700 rods? Sure they do. Everyone has their own budget. My budget does not allow a $700 rod, it's more like the $300 rod. I fish with people that have $700 rods, and people that use Walmart $50 combo's. It does not matter to me. It's simply economics. Supply/demand etc.

Quote Originally Posted by raw69 View Post
    As long as I have food, clothing, and shelter, and uh, well internet and cable, and I'm not in debt, does it really matter how MUCH or how LITTLE I spend on a pleasure. Do you win something if you spend the most or the least?

I fish 3 rods. One is low-end, one is mid-range, and one is high-end. The mid and the high were above my personal limit and I was lucky enough to find them at 50% and 40% off respectively, but that is not the point. The point is that I love all 3. They make me happy and no one's gotten hurt.

If you think that having the most expensive stuff makes you a better human then please, don't fish with me. If you think that anyone who spends more than you would is an idiot, then please, don't fish with me. To me, it is only about the fun and the therapy that FFing provides.

And remember what that great philosopher, George Carlin said, "My stuff is STUFF, your stuff is S---!"
    ----------------
    Wayne

I lost my 6 wt. rod a few weeks ago. The main reason I fished it was that I had purchased it and therefore felt that I SHOULD fish it.

There is probably a lesson in this experience for me.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by raw69 View Post

No one has said EXPENSIVE MAKES THEM BETTER.....EVER!!!!!! Or at least that I have read. It is a personal choice.
    If you feel more comfortable with a $700. then it will make you a better caster. COMFORT - BETTER CASTER, it goes hand in hand physics.
    I do think a more expensive rod CAN make you feel more comfortable though. It is in the technology, hardware, taper. etc.
    The Expensive Rods make ff much easier. Do you need this...NOPE, it just makes it easier.
    I do like you hitting both sides of the coin, with the comment about not spending more, NOT being an idiot.
    Basically you are saying, what I feel....no room for attitude in this wonderful hobby, sport, way of life...LOL
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 09-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    . . snip . . . The Expensive Rods make ff much easier. Do you need this...NOPE, it just makes it easier. . . . . . snip
    This made me laugh, I don't agree with this statement at all! I don't think expensive means better or easier. For some, that are good enough to take advantage of the technology, but these are the top 1% of the casters out there. I'll guarantee you, fishing with my more expensive rods does not make me a better fisherman. The more expensive ones I own happen to be a bit faster action, so I think I can cast further, but that's about it.
    ----------------
    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread