Thread: Orvis does it again

Threaded View

uh, ...... 66 for president!

Seriously, Kudos. Your responses are the most well thought out, grounded in principle, and cogent I have seen recently.

I came into fly fishing later in life and went down the equipment acquisition road. Fairly quickly I recognized the hype and wondered "What preceded all this?" That's when I started exploring vintage gear and the pleasure derived from this aspect of the sport has been thorough. That's what it's all about, right? Not saying it would be anyone else's cup of tea.

Part of my enjoyment of fishing is setting the gear down once in a while to just look at the clouds, smell the air, watch the sun dance through the ripples, spy an eagle soaring in the distance, or contemplate a salient aspect about the nature of reality. Like - why is bamboo so much more fun to fish than graphite? Is it because it feels more substantial, more real to the hand? And why did glass get passed by since it is the best rod material - EVER.

God please help me change should I ever feel the need to cast any rod 39 straight hours.

And given the choice between a hot off the line Ferrari and a '54 Vette.... the Ferrari sits.

Jim

Arctic, I'm am the lucky possessor of (do we ever actually OWN art?) two of Chris's masterpieces. What pleasure to just look at them and feel them. They are both 7'6" 4 weights, one blond one flamed. The tug of a nice 14 inch rainbow is a true joy.
    Last edited by nowindknots; 09-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.