Last year was my first year fly fishing for Lake Erie steelhead...or really, fly fishing for anything, for that matter. I hit the tribs with my trusty 5wt that I was using for trout, and managed to land a few, but couldn't help but feel like I was simply "along for the ride" anytime I hooked into a fish.

This year, I plan to carry a 7wt into battle.

I've done a good bit of reading, checking reviews, comparing prices, etc. and have decided on a 7wt Echo Ion. Its a solid, well-built rod that has a good action, quality components, and an airtight guarantee.

My only issue is length. The Ion is offered in both 9 and 10 foot lengths for their 7wt, and I'm unsure of what way to go. I've done plenty of fishing with a variety of rod lengths (6'-6", 7'-0", 7'-9", and 9'-0"), but, as you can see, nothing over 9'-0". I didnt have many problems adjusting to any shorter rod length, so I dont anticipate any issues adapting my cast to a longer one.

I WAS planning on going for the 10 footer, with the idea that the extra foot would give me more drift control, allow me to keep more line off the water, and to aid in fighting the larger fish, but the owner of my local fly shop strongly recommended the 9-footer over the 10, suggesting that the extra foot's pain-in-the-rear factor would more than outweigh any benefits it granted.

So I've been asking around, getting various opinions on the matter, and really, the opinions are widely varied. I'd like to see what the FAOLers have to say.