+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiger Eye 3 weight

Hybrid View

Default Tiger Eye 3 weight

About a month or so ago I finished building a 6' 2 piece Tiger Eye 3 weight. I mess it up so bad that I leaned it in the corner and tried to forget it. I had tried to cast a 3 weight line with it and, probably because of my casting stroke, it just didn't perform worth a hoot. Maybe because it has 3 1/2" broken off of the tip section. The guide wraps turned out atrocious and I'm just not at all pleased with it. Well, yesterday I got to thinking. Maybe because the tip was broken off short it won't cast a 3 weight like it should. Maybe just maybe, it would handle a 4 weight OK. So I took it out to my practice yard with a WF4F and gave it a whirl. Turns out that rod is so fast with a 4 weight that you would need time lapse photography to capture it's performance. I've truly never cast a rod this fast. Loops are tighter than I'm used to and I managed 60' with a moderate haul. Am I pleased with the rod. Let me just say that I don't care what it looks like, I'll definitlely fish this rod. I think I'll call it the "Crimson Bullet." I'm pleased, very pleased.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Sometimes you jut got to wade through a lot of stuff to find a diamond. Looks like the rough is gone and it polished up nice. Glad to hear all worked out well.

Joe -

I built that same rod last year ( it was designated a 2/3 ). It was fine with a DT3F line, but when I put a DT4F on it really came to life. Not as fast as you are describing, but fast and capable of 50' casts without a haul.

John

P.S. I sold the rod to a BB member. Heard back from him that he really likes the way it performs, as a 3 wt best I could tell.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Cool Tiger Eye's

LO.....I have built quite a few rods on Tiger Eyes. I've found (and I think others will concur) that the Tigers are somewhat under rated when it comes to weight ratings. They also are stoutly made and their butt sections are larger in diameter than most comparable blanks.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the above , you just have to be aware of it when purchasing . In your case you stumbled on to it ,and found out by increasing a line size.
    I'm glad the rod is not a closet dweller any longer...Enjoy it and go catch some fish...Ed

where is a good place to purchase the tiger eye blank?. I'm interested in the little 6 foot 2 piece-p-

Pearow-try Schneider's rod shop in Mountain Home, AR. Good to deal with and good prices and selection.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread