+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An unexpected gift...

Default An unexpected gift...

Today my boss comes to my humble cube and asks me to look over my vacation coverage for Friday. I look up and ask, "Am I off?" He asks, "Aren't you?"

Sure enough, I look at my personal leave calendar and discover that months ago I requested this Friday off for no known reason and forgot about it. I have one day to resolve the question...

Where do I go to fish?
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Where do you go fish ? ANYWHERE, now get going.

Rocky

hmmmm.....Somewhere you normally wouldn't go

My favorite trout get-away in this area is Clarks Creek. I like to park at the rifle-range parking lot and work my way downstream. Very nice water, makes you think you're miles from nowhere and you're only 20 minutes north of Harrisburg.

From Lancaster, take 283 up through Harrisburg or even 72 to 81. Then take 322 like you're headed to State College but exit off in Dauphin. Go up 225 then turn right after crossing the bridge (there is a PAFBC sign at the bridge). Drive East about 20 minutes until you come to the rifle range on the left - parking on the right below the road level. Easy to miss, so be watching.

Nice water to spend a nice easy day on. If you don't want to walk back upstream, just walk out to the roadway and walk (uphill) back to your parked car.
    Last edited by SonOfMartin; 09-03-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Son of...
    Thanks! I'll take you up on that.
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

I suggest someplace wet, with at least a suspicion of fish
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Okay, I know it was a silly question, but I'm glad I asked because Clarks Creek had not come to mind. I think I may make that my destination.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Let us know how it worked out for you. Take plenty of sz 10 Shenk's White Minnows (no weight) - fish them on 5x with 2 split shot about 3" above the fly. Works well for me. I hope to get up there Sunday evening or early on Monday.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

+ Reply to Thread