+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barred Plymouth Rock rooster feathers

Blog Entries

Default Barred Plymouth Rock rooster feathers

I am looking for a good to excellent quality skin or at least nice saddle hackle from a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster. If you breed these, or know where I can acquire some of these feathers, please let me know. I would like distinct barring...between the white, and close to black barring. (the darker the bars, the better) Please contact me if you know where I can find these feathers. Thanks.
    Kelly

Blog Entries

You call Denny yet? Bet he has something for you.

Blog Entries

I emailed Denny. He said they don't get enough requests for that particular bird...so he doesn't raise them. I want a grizzly with black and white, and most you see are chocolate brownish and white, or dark brown and white. I need just about pure black...or as close to it as I can get. This bird was used in feathers I guess more in the past than in recent times. I emailed a breeder too...but doubt if they will want to kill and dry a skin for me. I asked regardless. A show bird quality would be best. (or almost a show bird) I wish I could go to a large shop that had lots of grizzly to choose from, I could maybe find what would be close to what I need then.

When my dad was raising game birds he belonged to a Michigan bird breeders group that had a directory of all of the members and what kind of birds thay had. I don't know if Texas has something similar but finding someone near you who raises any kind of show bird my lead to someonme with plymouth rocks. They all attend tjhe same shows and sales. Maybe something in Craig's list? If all else fails there is a weekly small animal auction near me and I could look at what's available but you seem to want something very specific and it would be better if you found it yourself rather than my guessing about it. It could also get expensive by the time I buy the bird at auction and pay a taxidermist prepare it to ship.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 09-03-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: can't type
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default Grizzly / Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster

I have communicated with Kelkay and she does not want Genetic Rooster (saddles) as what he needs it for is much larger than any genetic breeder raises today.

I get requests such as his now and then. My suggestion to her was to try and find a show breeder that breeds the old barn yard Barred Plymouth Rock.
    We do breed the very narrow black / white barring in our grizzlys. Most of our saddles are size 12, a few 14s and a few 10s. She needs size 8 on up...lots of size 6, 4,2,1, up to a 2/0.
    Almost all (is my understanding) present day genetic breeders have refined our birds down as this is what most tiers want today.

If anyone knows a Breeder that breeds these old barnyard birds, contact her direct.

The other option I told her would be to buy 25 day old chicks from someone like McMurray Hatchery and raise them. She lives in town so is not possible.
    Anyone interested, fire me off a shot and I will help all I can.
    I am sure you would not get rich doing this but am also sure you would have a lot of fun if you have the room on your property.

Denny

Blog Entries

rainbowchaser...thanks for the idea.

Denny, I am a woman, but you didn't know that...no problem...you had no way of knowing that. If you have a size 10 in white with black barring...I would be interested in it...for other flies. You have my email, so contact me. A size 12 would be as small as I would ever want. Grizzly is my favorite feather.

Blog Entries

its a long shot but try your local extension service, perhaps there is a small breader in your area, a 4H person or someone.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Great idea, thanks!

i really think you could find something by contacting the local 4-H clubs.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Blog Entries

you may be right about that...I think it is a good idea....maybe the easiest

+ Reply to Thread