+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An effort to improve my tying

Hybrid View

Default An effort to improve my tying

I've taken a sort of "pseudo vow" about my tying efforts. I've decided not to tie any more flies unless I at least try to tie the perfect fly. Yesterday was my first attempt at perfection and it turned out so bad that I filed it straight away. While I think that technique is part of the problem, I'm convinced that visibility is my biggest obstacle. Can anyone give me some ideas about the best bang for the buck setup for lighting and magnification? I have a swing arm light with a magnifier now, but with my trifocals I have to position it so it always gets in the way of my tying. Sounds like an excuse, huh?
    Thanks ahead,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Well I can't say my setup is a "best bang for the buck" setup but I do have to say that improving my lighting/magnification has greatly helped me even with 20/20 vision in my late 40's.

I purchased a 70 watt Bluemax desk lamp from full spectrum solutions http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...esk_18_ctg.htm which has definitely helped me. As you can see, not cheap but it's full spectrum light so you get a natural color look to your flies. I think the Ott lights are also in this category but I liked the added brightness of this light plus it has a dial to adjust brightness.

I also picked up a set of mag-eyes http://www.mageyes.com/Hobby.htm to magnify my flies. I found these on Ebay fairly inexpensive.

I guess I didn't trust "cheaper" alternatives as I didn't want to strain my eyesight to see especially on small flies.

As for the perfect fly - no such thing.

Good luck.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

I have a magnifying lamp like most do.
    I put a natural spectrum lamp in it like most pet stores sell for reptilian enclosures. It's supposed to emulate the sun's light and make the colors of plants and reptiles natural. Here's an example.
    I think they cost around $6.95 or so for the lamp. My magnifier I spent all of $19.95 on.
    But my Mag Eyes are the best thing I've gotten for my tiring eyes. They work very natural with your eyes, head and neck. (Especially when you put them on right side up!)
    My vision correction so far is simply 1.75 ready readers. But I wear them so that I look over the top for normal vision.
    So I have a sort of make shift tri-focal when tying.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

I'm a little easier on myself in that I am trying to improve my technique but some flies end up meeting Mr. razor blade and starting over. I personally use a smaller folding Ott lite so that I can take it with me when I tie at another location. I have a pair of clip on flip up magnifying lenses but they don't fit my glasses very well.

If your background is busy, put a piece of light green or light blue foam board up to act as a profile plate. Having a clean background to my fly really helps with thread and material control.

Rick

I wear 'cheater' reading glasses right over my bi focals.

Got the idea from Jack Gartside.... that's what he does
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Wink

When it comes to what is the perfect fly ....
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Joe, if your going to use these Ideas and they all sound good, Measure the distance between your glasses and the hook on your vise. then when you go to the store to try reading glasses etc take a fly hold it that distance from your face and see how clear it is.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Why does it have to be "perfect"? Is it going on display or in a museum? The fish could care less and that is obvious. Do most tied flies look anything like what they are representing??? Not even close!

A real stonefly: http://www.troutnut.com/im_regspec/p...1072_small.jpg

Someone's rendition of a stonefly: http://www.virtualflybox.com/pattern...age.php?id=225

A real sow bug: http://audilab.bmed.mcgill.ca/~funne...owbug_crop.jpg

Someone's rendition of a sow bug: http://www.riverbum.com/images/produ...inbow-side.jpg

Not even close.
    Don't get too worried about being 'perfect".

It's obvious fish have pretty bad eyesight
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 09-02-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

BBW...not fair to compare a stonefly nymph with a dry fly.

Your point of course is true.

Thanks for the ideas folks. But I think some of you may have misunderstood what I meant by what I said. (my fault) I stated that I would "at least try" to tie a perfect fly. I don't expect perfection, but I'm hoping for a more sincere effort on my part. i.e. proportions, quality & quantity of components.
    Hope I didn't mislead anyone.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread