Thread: A year in the life of an FAOL?er (not FF)

Threaded View

Post A year in the life of an FAOL?er (not FF)

A year goes by pretty fast. Looking back over the Blogs, articles and journals, I wonder how so much can happen in a year!

I went from less than 10 days on the water in 2008 to over 30 in 2 1/2 short months in 2009 (the season starts late here). There are still a couple of months left this season and I intend to make the most of them.

When I look over the events of 2008-2009 can draw one general conclusion:
    The community of beings that make up FlyAnglersOnline is one fine bunch of individuals.

I say "Community" because if community means:

com⋅mu⋅ni⋅ty
      [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]
    ?noun, plural -ties.
    1. ?
    2. ?
    3. a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually prec. By the): the business community; the community of scholars.

Copyright (c) 2009, Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.

... then in today's terms of reference, we do share a common interest (guess) ... and I find that the sense of caring, fellowship and outreach are all qualities "lacking" in the "larger society".

Secondly, I say "Individuals" because each and every one of the members I have read, exchanged with or met have all been unique and special people.

The past 12 months were pretty tough on the home front. I truly thank each and every one of you for the support and prayers you sent.

I guess the year is pretty easy to sum up:
    • I haven't been banned, ... so I haven't done anything dumb on the Board;
    • The Warden"s still shake my hand when I arrive on the river, so I haven't done anything dumb on the river;
    • Old and New friends in Cyberspace are still return my e-mails and phone calls, so I haven't done anything dumb in the on the Internet;
    • A Salmon will still rise to my dry fly, so I haven't offended the greater being who looks after fish.
    Thanks for putting up with me for the past 12 months. Here"s to many more together on FAOL (now I gotta prepare for 3 days of fishing).

As Dave B says: "Screaming reels to ya!"
    Last edited by fcch; 09-01-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Christopher Chin