+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll ask, Guide Tip? How much?

Hybrid View

Default I'll ask, Guide Tip? How much?

Doubt I'll ever hire one...not that I discount their value...just don't have that kind of cash to spend on fishing.

Anyhow, what does one tip a guide?

Saw this discussed in another thread and got to wondering.

If the split is 50/50 with shop, that leaves a good buck for the guide in general but I suppose they pay their own gas and expenses to the location.

Certain tipping is accepted and common but how much?

I've only hired on local guide and tipped him $50 on top of the $350 for a full day with two people. He doesn't share with a shop, but runs his own guide service. I figured that was all I could afford so that's all he got.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Normand Guest

A few years ago, my wife and I used a guide for a float trip on the Snake River in Wyoming. We gave him a $50 tip for the day.

5. Default Guides

I've had a couple'a experiences with "guides" & neither have been good. I've found them to be arrogant jerks that didn't give a hoot for the client's success or satisfaction.

How'd you like to charge $100.00/ hr & get away w/snobery?

I won't hire another any time soon w/o some SERIOUS proof of qualifications!!!

$127.57

Hey, if you don't want to know, don't ask.

A tip is just that.
    "Thanks, Great trip, get some dinner and flowers for the wife."
    Depends on what you would like to give, and are comfortable giving. If they wanted a $50 tip, they should advertise a $50 higher price up front.
    If the guide expects a tip give less than if they are humble.
    Good guys = good tip.
    Meat head = meatball tip. $0-10?

Remember, your best defense is to not repeat doing business with them again. (Meat Heads)
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Default Tip According to What You Got

I usually don't hire guides in an area more than once, and part of their job during the time I've hired them is to show me hot spots. If they do, I tip more.
    That being said, I tip according to the skill and helpfullness of the guide.
    On a good $500 trip a $100 tip is the same 20% I'd tip in a restaurant.
    On a trip where we killed them I've tipped as much as 33% as long as it went to the guide.
    I NEVER tip the shop. Because of that I never tip AT THE SHOP. Cash to the guide.

Bob

Blog Entries

Smile

I do more guided trips than non-guided trips when I am fishing the rivers of Montana or Washington or Wyoming.

Most guides work for a guide shop and they do get a cut of what you pay the shop, but I suspect more along the lines of a 60/40 split at best, with them getting the 40%.

Think about it for a minute.

They pay for your lunch out of their own pockets, not the shop. Plus they have to have their own lunch so they pay for that as well.

They furnish all the snacks and waters and pops.

Most of my guides furnish all the flies and if needed the leaders as well. However I always keep a good supply of leaders and tippet for them to use. If you loose a lot of flies, it is costing them a lot.

They have to maintain the drift boats (river fishing) and buy their own gas for their trucks.

They have to pay for the shuttle service so their truck and boat trailer will be at the take out.

They have to row hard all day long.

Change your flies.

Net and handle your fish.

Serve your food and sometimes cook it for you.

They don?t get to fish themselves, but get to watch you fish all day long.

They don?t get rich.

Now then, how much would you charge for doing that for other people? I bet you would not work for what they are working for.

I start my tipping at $50 and go up from there.

Over the past 8 years I have gone on hundreds of guided trips and I have yet to have a bad guide. Shops only stay on business if they offer good service and they are very careful about who their guides are. Go only with good reliable shops and you should have no problems.

Listen to your guide. Trust me, you don?t know better then your guide when it comes to that particular piece of water you are fishing.

Listen to your guides, do what they say and you will greatly increase your chances of catching fish.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortcaster View Post
    I've had a couple'a experiences with "guides" & neither have been good. I've found them to be arrogant jerks that didn't give a hoot for the client's success or satisfaction.

How'd you like to charge $100.00/ hr & get away w/snobery?

I won't hire another any time soon w/o some SERIOUS proof of qualifications!!!

$100 an hour? I'm guiding in the wrong area!
    Steve

While I can see the principals behind the "they pay for all this stuff out of pocket" theme behind a tip, it actually doesn't make sense. All that stuff that is payed for by the guide is actually tax deductible if they keep receipts. So in essence, while they're paying for it, they will eventually get some help with the bills.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

+ Reply to Thread