I know that we had a nice long thread when the number system changed and I was one of those guys that really liked the proportial changes in the Signature line. I don't think that Mustad has to take a back seat to any hook manufacturer with the Signature line.

Today I am on their web site. They have some nice tying videos even though they are few. I was reading the alpha code explaination and found myself frustrated. You can find it here: http://www.mustad.no/products/premiu..._alphacode.htm

They start off with an R50 as standard diameter and standard Length. An R30 is 2X light for hook wire diameter. OK fine. A R70 is 2X heavy standard length. Fine with me. A R72 is 2X heavy and 2X extra long, still cool. So first digit is hook wire diameter and the second digit is length, right - wrong.

A R48 is 2 times short and is standard wire diamter. With how things were going I would think that an R48 would have been 1X fine for wire and 8X long for length, but now they subtract 2 from the two digits of 50 and say a R 48 is 2X short. So much for the logical progression.

Someone could have come up with some kind of simple numbering system if they were going to change the world around that was easier to understand for this simple guy.

So if you get it, explain it to me? Maybe I need more coffee this morning.

Rick