+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Absolute joy!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Absolute joy!

Are you ever just elated that you tie your own flies? I had that feeling today, not just happiness but pure joy. I was getting ready to head up to the mountains and do a little trout fishing tomorrow when I look in my nymph box and found that I was almost out of really small nymphs. I'm not expecting a lot of action from the trout because of the heat and the low water. DNR won't be stocking the area until September or October so I'll most likely catch some beautiful montains, a few hatching bugs, some moving water and a deep feeling of peace. Still and all, I didn't want to go without some #18-#22 nymphs. I sat down for a very pleasant 90 minutes and whipped up 2 dozen thread nymphs in different sizes and configurations. It was sure nice to have exactly what I wanted without searching for a fly shop open on Sunday. Tying your own is so great! Also paying $30-$40 for 24 hooks and 10 yards of thread would have killed half the Scottish genes in my body. Fly tying is nothing short of super duper great! 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 08-31-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Thumbs up

ET thanks for the post, I know the feeling, when I'm tying flies that that are coming out to my satisfaction, and I know that they work ( or at least have in the past) and I'm getting them ready for a trip up into the mountains here, Its just to way cool... I 99% don't fish a fly unless I'v tied it so the tying is part of my fishing trip of witch I can start to enjoy a few days b-4 even going to the water...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

That's many of the reasons why most of us tie.

Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

I can't wait for what I call tying season. Yesterday the house was empty, both boys gone for college and Mamma out for the afternoon so I "moved" my tying area. Every winter, I move out of the basement and into a corner of the family room. There, over winter Mamma sits and works on her "stuff" and I get a little corner that as long-as-I-keep-it-neat is my tying area. That way she doesn't complain about me disappearing into the basement and I don't' have to put on two layers of clothes to stay warm!

This year, I added a new element. I ran a network cable and connected our spare PC. The monitor sits perfectly at about 45 degrees to the side of the tying table so I can access all my patterns and pictures in bright color.

This year, I don't have to keep my pattern book (3 ring binder) balanced against the wall, no sir, I have my PDF files right at my finger-click.

Over winter I may spend a few dollars on hooks and materials, but the time is well spent. Catching that first spring trout on something I either copied / modified / created is why I tie my own.

That and the boys always raid my fly box on the stream so I have to be well stocked!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

The most terminal of terminal tackle is nearest and dearest to me. I'm not sure who made my line, leader, tippet, or shoes, but I know darn' tootin well who made my fly and the reason for why I put it in the water.

Sometimes I know "da guy" who made my rod
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Yes, fly tying is a wonderful thing. I really enjoy tying and fishing soft hackle wet flies. These flies catch all sorts of fish and are just a blast to tie. I also get that warm fuzzing feeling when I am assembling a rod. Just got a 8' 9" 4 piece 4 wt. blank to finish out for fall bluegill and trout fishing, can't wait to get statred. Man, I love to tie flies and assemble fly rods.

Lanny

I couldn't agree more. Being able to put together just what you want, and just how you want, really adds to the pleasure of fly fishing. Great stuff.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread