+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marathon, Florida Keys

Default Marathon, Florida Keys

Hi all,
    My significant other is planning a vacation for the two of us to Marathon, probably the first or second week of December. She found a great deal on a condo and it's really too good of a deal to pass up. What type of inshore FF should I expect? I have a 7 and a 9 wt. I use the 9 here on Long Island for stripers and bluefish. Anyone now any good guides....or any to avoid? This wil be my first trip to the keys and I've already told "the one that must be obeyed" that I need at least a day and a half of flats fishing while we're down there. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Same Advice

Hi Ken

I posted this advice for Warren earlier but I think it's equally good for your situation. The book may not be as helpful as a seasoned guide but it sure can put you in the right spot and it's less than 5% of what a guide would cost you. Marathons a great place. 8T

Hi Warren,

You've gotten some great advice so far on saltwater FF in Florida. Meeting up with and fishing with a few of these "old Florida hands" would clearly be your best bet to have a good time. You might also want to think about purchasing a book by John Kumiski on FF Florida. I've used the first edition several times to find some excellent spots without a guide (not too proud, just too poor). The book is a very complete list of fish available, tackle, time of the year, methods and places to go even for the boatless angler. Kumiski knows his stuff. I've just bought the 2nd edition and its jam packed with good info. The book covers the entire state from the Northern boarder to the Keys. Also the entire book is oriented to FF. Just brousing the book should whet your appetite for your Florida experience, Sorry if I should like an ad but the book is really good. It goes for $29.95.

Fly Rodding Florida Salt--How and Where to Catch Saltwater Fish on Flies in the Sunshine State By Captain John Kumiski Argonaut Publishing Co. ISBN 0-9635118-5-8

What ever you decide, have a great time! Take a couple of snap shots to show us your handy work. 8T

You can also contact the marina at Hawk's Cay (on Duck Key) 12 miles from Marathon. There is excellent tarpon fishing a 5 minute ride from the marina.
    Fishing from shore is also possible (fish the Gulf side) and you can catch a wide variety of saltwater species within a 60 foot cast using white or white and silver clousers.
    The guides often have honey holes and will hang a chum bag over the side of the boat and call up all sorts of interesting things to catch (grouper, snapper, specks, etc.).

...I am a guide and that is more than 5% of what I charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi Ken

I posted this advice for Warren earlier but I think it's equally good for your situation. The book may not be as helpful as a seasoned guide but it sure can put you in the right spot and it's less than 5% of what a guide would cost you. Marathons a great place. 8T

Hi Warren,

You've gotten some great advice so far on saltwater FF in Florida. Meeting up with and fishing with a few of these "old Florida hands" would clearly be your best bet to have a good time. You might also want to think about purchasing a book by John Kumiski on FF Florida. I've used the first edition several times to find some excellent spots without a guide (not too proud, just too poor). The book is a very complete list of fish available, tackle, time of the year, methods and places to go even for the boatless angler. Kumiski knows his stuff. I've just bought the 2nd edition and its jam packed with good info. The book covers the entire state from the Northern boarder to the Keys. Also the entire book is oriented to FF. Just brousing the book should whet your appetite for your Florida experience, Sorry if I should like an ad but the book is really good. It goes for $29.95.

Fly Rodding Florida Salt--How and Where to Catch Saltwater Fish on Flies in the Sunshine State By Captain John Kumiski Argonaut Publishing Co. ISBN 0-9635118-5-8

What ever you decide, have a great time! Take a couple of snap shots to show us your handy work. 8T
    Last edited by bonefishwhisperer; 08-31-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Smile Sorry Bonefishwhisperer!

Hi BFW,

Sorry about the price exaggeration. I'm honestly not trying to do you out of any business and I don't think my post will have much effect on people. Those who plan to hire guides, will hire them inspite my post. Those who plan to explore on their own will just have a little more information. I camped at Long Key State Park in May and/or June all through the 1970s and did surprising well on my own. It's a great area to fish. Take care and good luck to both you and your clients. 8T

ET,

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the book last night.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

I try to make an annual trip down to the keys(my only real vacation), and there are a ton of great spots out there.

One place that I would suggest to check out is The Bahia Honda State Park. Now that might be a little drive from where you are but it definitely has flats and channels. I'm hoping no one here considers it their sweet spot, it's well known. But it has proved successful for me on the incoming tide for bonefish (I have yet to land one) and I have seen tarpon cruising the channels in the evening. Permit is kinda a myth IMO on those flats as I have never seen anyone actually land one, but people at the local bars will tell of stories of big ones.

Definitely grab a map though as there are tons of put outs all along Route 1 through out the islands. If you are fishing from shore, and decide to fish the bridges, bring some grain lines to get down as the current can rip through there. I have had some great success with grain lines in ripping current.

Also on Marathon I believe, is The Island Fish Company. great bar, a little pricey, and they have a web cam there.

A GREAT breakfast spot around there is the Wooden Spoon. It's a great place for an early morning breakfast and a box lunch. Usually they give two sandwiches a hard boiled egg a bag of chips and a coke for like 6 bucks.

Good Luck and tight lines!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi BFW,

Sorry about the price exaggeration. I'm honestly not trying to do you out of any business and I don't think my post will have much effect on people. Those who plan to hire guides, will hire them inspite my post. Those who plan to explore on their own will just have a little more information. I camped at Long Key State Park in May and/or June all through the 1970s and did surprising well on my own. It's a great area to fish. Take care and good luck to both you and your clients. 8T
    no worries I am more of a Miami kinda guy anyway...the thing is though that there are cheaper ways to go than a flats boat...look into perhaps a kayak guide and explain the deal...no matter what it is better than paying $500-$650 for 8hrs...not that they dont earn their $$$$ but thats a chunk to me

also I forgot but once I fished Marathon for about a month a few yrs back...we fished the flats right out front of the hotel...run down little place but it was a roof and we had AC...the name was called BONEFISH RESORT and it was killer fishing 100yds away from the shore...bones and permit were caught almost daily

Default Marathon Coffee

Leigh Ann's on the north end of Marathon (around mile 75 I think) on the Atlantic side is a quaint coffee shop with breakfast and lunch and pastry to die for. Don't go there if you're on a diet.
    http://www.leighannscoffeehouse.com/

+ Reply to Thread