+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polar Bears are happy

Default Polar Bears are happy

Found this:

Polar Bears Refute Al Gore's Warnings

The polar bears that climate change alarmists claim are endangered by global warming are doing just fine, thank you.

Al Gore and other alarmists have warned that higher global temperatures due to greenhouse gases could lead to the melting of the polar ice caps. That would threaten the polar bears' efforts to find food and survive.

But due to colder than usual subarctic weather this year, healthier polar bears are being spotted along the Hudson Bay coast in Canada, according to a release from PR Newswire.

"The late break-up of ice this year on Hudson Bay means the polar bears, which rely on sea ice to live, have been given more time during spring and summer to hunt and eat seals, and this has allowed them to gain important weight to live off of until freeze-up," said Robert Buchanan, president of Polar Bears International.

Daryll Hedman, a regional wildlife manager for Manitoba Conservation in Canada, said polar bears remain on the Hudson Bay ice for as long as possible so they can feed, and this year the ice was so thick that they stayed there for an extra two weeks, resulting in fatter, healthier bears this summer.

On a related front: With many Democrats still clamoring for cap-and-trade legislation to curb carbon emissions in response to global warming fears, the outgoing leader of the environmental group Greenpeace has retracted an assertion about Arctic ice.

In a July 15 release entitled "Urgent Action Needed as Arctic Ice Melts," Greenpeace said there will be an ice-free Arctic by the year 2030 due to global warming.

Under questioning by BBC reporter Stephen Sackur, Gerd Leipold, the retiring Greenpeace leader, stated, "I don't think it will be melting by 2030 . . . That may have been a mistake."

Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

You have to be kidding.

The newsmax.com site that has your piece is still hawking pre-election pieces that says that you should not vote for Obama because

"your eternal salvation is tied up with that important choice"

I could not find the piece you quoted on any reputable web site, unless you consider the Sarah Palin in 2012 blog/web site reputable.

The truth of the issue of global climate change is that there is plenty of evidence that it is happening and that its result will de-stabalize governments and lead to more frequent disasters and food shortages.

Climate Change Seen as Threat to U.S. Security

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/sc...pagewanted=all

By JOHN M. BRODER
    Published: August 8, 2009

WASHINGTON ? The changing global climate will pose profound strategic challenges to the United States in coming decades, raising the prospect of military intervention to deal with the effects of violent storms, drought, mass migration and pandemics, military and intelligence analysts say.

Such climate-induced crises could topple governments, feed terrorist movements or destabilize entire regions, say the analysts, experts at the Pentagon and intelligence agencies who for the first time are taking a serious look at the national security implications of climate change.

Recent war games and intelligence studies conclude that over the next 20 to 30 years, vulnerable regions, particularly sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and South and Southeast Asia, will face the prospect of food shortages, water crises and catastrophic flooding driven by climate change that could demand an American humanitarian relief or military response.

An exercise last December at the National Defense University, an educational institute that is overseen by the military, explored the potential impact of a destructive flood in Bangladesh that sent hundreds of thousands of refugees streaming into neighboring India, touching off religious conflict, the spread of contagious diseases and vast damage to infrastructure. ?It gets real complicated real quickly,? said Amanda J. Dory, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for strategy, who is working with a Pentagon group assigned to incorporate climate change into national security strategy planning.

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

Climates are cyclical; 30 years ago we were being warned about global cooling. In recent years there has been global warming on Earth and Mars. If someone will explain who is mucking up the atmosphere on Mars and driving SUV's I will be more concerned about man's effect on Earth. I do like what we have done to improve the environment, I like clean air, clear water as much as anyone. I also like my house at 72 deg. pretty much year round and flush toilets.

Al Gore has found a scam that will make Bernie Madoff look like a piker in the impact on the economy and will be become a multi-millionaire from it. He has never had a job other than receiving a government check. He's not from TN, he grew up in what is now the Westin Hotel Fairfax, VA. He family owned when he was growing up.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I think most politicians and special interest groups have a tendency to overstate their case. It gives their thoughts more viability. I also believe that climate change is cyclical, and the cycle is a lot more than 30 years. At least it's in the hundreds of years, and more likely in the thousands. Certainly, there are smaller cycles around the 30 year mark. In an effort to not overstate my case, there is a large possibility that I could be WRONG.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

"Global warming" is nothing more than a political tool to soak $$ out of people. End of subject.
    Anyone that believes this nonsense is either naive or brainwashed or both.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Magnolia Trees in Minnesota

Magnolia Trees in Minnesota, and I have one in my side yard. Tree was grown in Minnesota in Woodbury, about 5 miles from my home, and was transplanted to my property about years ago, after 5 years at the tree farm.

This was the first year the tree had blossoms, just a few as the tree is still growing it's root structure, to support flower blossoms.

I am 60 years old, and I know that there are various climate cycles all around the world. Yet the facts are straight forward about Carbon Dioxide, and Methane gas concentrations in the atmosphere, at a all time high. When I say all time high I mean that the scientist can go back 100 of thousands of years, using petrified tree rings to record the tree growth, long before homo-sapians started to cultivate land and domesticating livestock, building settlements and civilizations.

The scientists also have the ice cores on the rapidly shrinking glacier ice packs. These ice packs have the actual air from hundreds of thousands of years ago, and the dating can be accurately determined. They know exactly when the earth went into a snow cone ice age, where even all the seas and oceans froze over. The know exactly when the giant mega volcano expelled so much sulfur dioxide into the air, that it created such a cold ice age, that early human population almost went extinct. Today they can trace through DNA and gene research to determine through the female humans, that there were only 400 females at a critical early time, when the human species almost went extinct.

The earth's weather systems are a complicated duck soup of things that can effect the weather. More complicated than mans efforts to make sense of monetary policies through out the world. So do not take these so call experts that are preaching that all this global warming, is a bunch of cow dung.

Just because you do not fully understand all that is happening, does not make it untrue. I spent 6 years in Alaska, when in the Army, and spent most of my time in the field. Winters are harsh, but the tundra is fragile. If all that tundra starts to defrost, deeper and deeper, each year, all that buried organic material buried and frozen will start to release Methane Gas into the atmosphere at a astounding rate, and Methane gas is 10 time more damaging than Carbon Dioxide. There are also frozen Methane gas ice in the deepest trenches of our oceans, if our oceans continue to warm, that warmth reach further into the depths, and that methane gas trapped in frozen ice crystals also will be released into the atmosphere.

When too much of this methane gas is release, it will shut down our ocean currents that keep our norther climates warmer during the winter. The change can be complete in less than a 10 years span. The scientists have ice core records that confirm that it has happened before, not once, but repeatedly over millions of years.

Isn't is nice to read the truth, from someone who does not have a axe to grind? ~Parnelli "I say what I mean, and I mean what I say!"

Default Penguins are happy too

A large part of the problem is the "Media" tells us the part of the story they want us to hear as they are infinitely more intelligent than us and know what is good for us, especially if we want to resist. While glaciers melt in the northern hemisphere and sea ice increases in the southern hemisphere, see the link below. The loons have gotten the attention of the "Media" and are driving an agenda taht cripples the USA while allowing developing countries to pollute at will. Loons are nice birds to see on the lake but do a damn bad job of drivng the ship of state. We all want clean air and water but we want our country to prosper. Texan, Okies and lot of other folks have survived for years with oil wells in their yards. The still only have one head, you can have energy and clean air and water.

The tailwater section of Chattahoochee River is surrounded by over 5 million people but trout have been reproducing in this section for several years now. We haven't worked at it as hard or as long as we should have but the efforts have improved the water quality over the years. It still gets too muddy when it rains but we have improved considerably from where we were and the area is still growing.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=2734 - While recent studies have shown that on the whole Arctic sea ice has decreased since the late 1970s, satellite records of sea ice around Antarctica reveal an overall increase in the southern hemisphere ice over the same period. Continued decreases or increases could have substantial impacts on polar climates, because sea ice spreads over a vast area, reflects solar radiation away from the Earth?s surface, and insulates the oceans from the atmosphere.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

A number of years ago I heard a debate on NPR I would love to have recorded. A guy with credentials was discussing his research which showed the Earth has temp cycles driven by proximity to other planets and the cycle is extremely long. He showed all reliable temp readings world-wide meshed neatly with his cycle.

He was debating greenhouse gases with another lettered individual.

It was not a fair fight. Mr Cycle had him at every turn and knew his stuff cold... (might be a pun there) Several important points included the fact the Earth is actually in a longer-term cooling cycle, but a shallow, short warming cycle. The effects of the Industrial Age in Europe did not have much effect on the temperatures. Volcanos produce far more pollutants and green house gases than Man...

Not to introduce politics to the argument, but the carbon credit idea is a brilliant fleecing device...
    art

Blog Entries

Oh, and recent research shows the polar bear population in several critical areas is actually expanding and it is not falling anywhere as rapidly as it is rising in those places...

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Oh, and recent research shows the polar bear population in several critical areas is actually expanding and it is not falling anywhere as rapidly as it is rising in those places...
    Happy animals (bears) reproduce better.
    Animals (and insects) multiply when conditions are favorable.
    Humans are the only species on the earth I know of that destroy their habitat, and the habitats of animals and fish.
    Politicians and scientists have agendas to push.
    All are facts.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

+ Reply to Thread