Given my current rod /reel dilemma (I really don't have one right now), and having always contemplated "building my own" rod, I'm curious as to what the general consensus among those that do build their rods would be. Not truly knowing what it would take talent wise, and what financial resources would be required beyond purchasing the rod blank, I'd like to know your feelings.

Should I jump into this "hobby" and do my first rod now?

Should I hold off and undertake it when I already have a serviceable rod to use?

Or should I push this ridiculous idea from my mind completely?

If you think I could/should undertake such a project, I'd like to know your thoughts on my jumping directly into a bamboo rod, or if I should "practice" with a fiberglass blank first.

To help understand my abilities, here's a little information on my aptitude for this... I'm a pretty accomplished woodworker, having built items ranging from a simple shelf of pine, to a black walnut grandfather clock. I've built a mahogany and plywood sabot sailboat, and I've done quite a bit of fiberglass and resin work (poly not epoxy). Not just on the sabot either. I'm a surfer that does his own ding repair, and I've built a couple of surfboards as well. I've restored a home (refinished floors, plaster, trim, paint, etc.) that was built in 1837, and owner-built 2 others. So I am pretty "handy" when it comes to working with my hands. As a profession, I own a small architectural design firm, so I also have the ability to visualize and think through projects, as well as pay attention to detail. I am a bit of a perfectionist, somewhat anal, and that is what scares me the most about undertaking a project like this. I know I likely won't be happy with a finished product that looks like... well... not good. To say nothing about how it might work.

On the other hand... I've never even tied a fly. So I'm not sure I could ever get thread to wrap around anything. Getting it to wrap evenly, may be asking the impossible.

You thoughts are most appreciated.

---David