+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAREWELL TO SUMMER - Neil Travis - August 31, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default FAREWELL TO SUMMER - Neil Travis - August 31, 2009

FAREWELL TO SUMMER

As summer leaves us, and the days grow shorter, it can only mean one thing. Time to fish! Neil walks us through several techniques that are bound to increase your success rate this fall.

Default farewell to summer

absoulutely best time to fly fish-nice article??

Autumn is my favorite time of year for fishing. Leaves are changing color, there's a bit of bite to the air and the rivers have Sea Run Cutthroat Trouts making their annual run to the spawning grounds, not to mention steelhead and salmon.

Thanks for another great article, Trav.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default Bass Season is almost over!

I fish for Bass (Largemouth & Smallmouth) in Minnesota, where the "Bass Season, is from May through February). My season is shorter because Spring comes late to Minnesota (late April ) and Winter comes early (November).
    In-between, there are few months where the water temperature is above 70 ? F, where the Bass are active, and I do not freeze, using my WaterSkeeter (without waders & "long johns")! But September is the best month for many reasons.

Most anglers (all disciplines), hang up their fishing gear and put their boats into Winter Storage, getting ready for the hunting season. Most cabin owners start closing down their lake cabins on Labor Day Weekend, and do not return until the next year on Memorial Day Weekend!

Since I am retired, I normally fish Monday through Friday, avoiding the Weekend Crowds, during the Summer. In September the fishing is the best of the year, the Bass are hungry, most of the aquatic insects life forms are long gone, and it is strictly larger bait-fish that the Bass are seeking out to store-up body's reserves for the long cold winter months when they are in almost in suspended animation, as the water temperatures under the ice drops down to 34 ? F.

September, the water is still warm enough to go tubing, and the long winter months, give me a chance to clean all my gear for next season, and refill my fly pattern inventories. I stop fishing when hunting season starts, because errant bullets can travel a long way and bounce off the water surface. A man that lives near my house was killed by a bullet, that was shot on the other side of the lake, and bounced on the lakes water surface and hit and killed him, over a miles distance between shorelines. Never found out who fired the round, or what they were shooting at.

If you are fly fishing during hunting season, wear orange, so that you can be seen by the hunters. It may save your life!m ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 09-03-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Autumn is my favorite time of year for fishing. Leaves are changing color, there's a bit of bite to the air and the rivers have Sea Run Cutthroat Trouts making their annual run to the spawning grounds, not to mention steelhead and salmon.

Thanks for another great article, Trav.

REE
    I agree Ron. Late summer/fall is truly the best time in the NW for fishing. My two favorite fish are on the move, cutthroat and steelhead. Nothing beats a late summer evening casting a reverse spider up along the side of the river and watching as a silver missle shoots out from under the ten feet deep snags to slam the fly.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread