This one is a bit early because we will be off fishing for 10 days.

Sport fishing column for Aug 31 to Sept 7, 2009

Two weeks ago I promise to cover techniques for men to help interest your spouse or girlfriends in fishing. With some exceptions, most women are not into aggressive behavior or roughing it. Unlike men who by nature seek to prove themselves through conquest, women seek a little comfort and understanding. Now if that doesn't mess with your brain, guys, I commend you. Don't quit on me, you can do this! All you need to do is think like a "guide". There is a reason high paid guides lay out a rug on which they spread out a gourmet lunch of finger food and wine. It is called creature comforts. I am not saying you have to put out a gourmet meal, but bringing a lunch of foods and beverages that your lady likes, is the place to start. A lawn chair, beach umbrella and blanket in your vehicle are a good idea also. Yes, I hear you guys groaning; might I remind you of whom we are trying to impress here. So let me put a bug in your ear; "First impression of fishing." You only get one so you better make it good. Nobody likes to be; hungery, thirsty, too hot, too cold, or soaking wet, cover these basics and you are off to a good start. More next week.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes looks good for the long weekend. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Black Ant, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible. For Kokanee: try Red Abbis, red Spratley, red Tom Thumb, red or pink Leach, or Double Trude.

Bass, and panfish fishing is good. For bass and panfish try: Clouser's Deep Minnow, Crayfish, Poppers, Big Black, Stimulator, Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Dolly Whacker, Tied down Minnow, or Tom Thumb.

All our interior lakes are fishing very well, with fish to 7 lb reported. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. If dry fly is your fancy try: Tom Thumb, Adams, Royal Wulff, Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Stave River is good for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Big Black, Zulu, Souboo, Royal Coachman, Elk Hair Caddis, Kaufmann's Stone, Adams, Irresistible, Stimulator, or Renegade. For cutthroat try the above along with Roller Muddler, Clouser's Deep Minnow, lioness, Coachman, Cezch Nymph, Sixpack, or Mickey Finn.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow.

The Harrison is good for rainbow and cutthroat.

The Thompson River is good for rainbow. Try: Joe's Hopper, Kaufmann's Stone, Irresistible, Tom Thumb, Rolled Muddler, or Stimulator.

Beach fishing for pinks is good. Look for them on the beaches around North Shore/Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet/Indian arm, and the Sunshine Coast. For try: Pink Eve, Cathy's Coat, Happy Hooker, or pink Bunny Leach.

Need some fly fishing lessons? Call us "Reel Life Ministries" at 1-604-820-4099.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".