+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's yr round Phillipsburg, Mt like?

Hybrid View

Default What's yr round Phillipsburg, Mt like?

I have a friend who is going to interview for a permanent position in Phillipsburg, Montana next week. She sent me the website link and asked my opinion. She is an outdoors person....and has been to Alaska and Montana. But most of life I think spent on the gulf coast of Texas. You can't get a for real feel of an area with text fromt he website. All sites like that are going to promote their area. Just wondering what it is really like there. Maybe the pros and cons....

Anyone close by, or even just have opinions on the area. What the area is sorta focused on, how severe and long the winters, how short the summers. Seems on the website they mention more about hunting and ice fishing than lots of long seasons for fly fishing.

On map looks between Missoula and Helena and south. I personally would not want an extreme long cold season and short summer.

Looking for advise on what the town is like, climate, what the people are like and or in to....etc.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Philipsburg is a mile-high town in an area with beautiful lakes, streams and mountains nearby. Mining and ranching are its heritage with the town going through a renaissance of sorts. It's west of Butte & Anaconda, so chilly winters are the norm. There are places colder in Montana. Ice fishing is a normal winter thing. I don't know if I would call the summers short, but defintely shorter than Arizona or Texas. Long daylight hours make up for the short days of winter. Hunting of every sort there.

Not a whole lot of diversity. I guess you could say the same for most of Montana. The town is small by most standards, but not Montana standards (about 1000 people). The school system is small (Class C for sports), meaning a small elementary school with probably one classroom per grade level and a combination jr high/ high school. Town pride in the high school sports is big time.

Moving to a small Montana town myself from a big city was different for me. The people are warm and friendly and want newcomers to get invloved. It took me a while to get used to people knowing your business and losing my anonymity.

Wow, what a nice run down. Lot's of great info there. Thanks loads Rickie.
    I will pass this info on to Pam.

If she's good looking, and likes to drink, she should have a terrific time!!

Found in a history of Montana book.

Not sure if they're referring to their liquor or their lips??

bobbyg
    Last edited by bobbyg; 08-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

That's funny! Check out the lady in the bottom right hand corner! Man what did she just suck on?

I wish I could live the balance of my life with my wife.....in Heaven.....with her.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 08-29-2009 at 03:45 AM.

Just left Phillipsburg yesterday. Yes it is a beautiful area. Don't know if I would like to live there though. Great fishing, with Georgetown Lake and Flint creek. Cold winters. We have a friend who lives there, can get snow in May or June, but might be worth it in the long run. The Sweet Palace in town could smooth the rough times. Great chocolates and taffy.
    Ther isn't much there unless you are a winter person. Great ice fishing on Georgetown lake though, and some Ice sailing. Lots of animals, and solitude.
    People are very friendly and help[ful, but it's in Montana.

Texas Coast Gal is gonna freeze her keister off!
    I love these pineywoods, and don't think could live where there was a real winter.

Kirk

Yikes. Pass the bottle! (just for insurance, of course)

Something she should think about, not because it's MT but it holds true with small towns everywhere, if she become unhappy at work finding another job will be more likely to require a move.

There are X number of jobs per capita no matter where you are, the smaller the population the few the number.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread